Military History/Artillary shell casings

QUESTION: I don't know if you can help answer these or can direct me to who would be able to. I was in the process of remodeling my home and I found two very large spent shell casings inside the wall. One that was found has a date of Aug, 1909; St35, Ke9, with a crown above it; patronfnfarrik, karlsruhl! The other says 75 DEC, GMC 109L; 16B, it also has some other unidentified symbols and letters that looked like they are "X" out! If you can help me figure out more about these I would greatly appreciate it! I can send pictures if needed!

Thank you,

ANSWER: Greetings

The second shell is from a Canon de 75 modèle 1897 also called a French 75.  I have included a link to the more information on the artillery piece.  The first one is a a mystery.  How wide is it.  If they are similar in width then you may have a shell casing to a German 7.7 CM FK 16 artillery piece.  Both shell casing date back to World War 1 so a World War One veteran stored those items most likely.

I hope this helps and check out the links.

Thank you

QUESTION: The first one is apporox the same diameter as the French shell, shorter in height, I misspelled the imprint,  it says "patronenfabrik karlsruhe?" I hope this helps indentify better?

If they are about the same diameter then my best guess I would be from a German 7.7 CM FK 16 artillery piece. Patronenfabrik Karlsruhe was a company that made the shell during World War 1.

Military History

Paul Sutton

I can answer questions on World War Two weapons, tactics, and strategy. I can answer questions on Weapons systems and their development. I can answer guestions on Space exploration history. I am a World War 2 expert. I study Military Weapons Systems and the usage of those systems.

I work for Saint Petersburg College as a TRS or Technology resources specialist. I read 10 to 15 books a year on World War 2 and weapon systems. I also have a BA in History from USF.

I have a BA in history from USF.