Military History/Duties & responsibilities

Dear Sir,

Could you please explain to me the duties & functions of a
Cannon Company in a WWII era infantry division? I've been unable
to find an answer to this anywhere on line. Also, if possible, could you tell me the divisions attachment (i.e. 7th Army)during
the war. (63rd I.D. 255th I.R.) Thank you very much for your time
& expertise. Any information you could pass along is greatly appreciated.

A Cannon Company was a small artillery unit in a division.  It was to provide short range artillery fire for local battles.  Most cannon companies were equipped with two halftrack-mounted 105mm howitzers and six halftrack-mounted 75mm howitzers or guns, and later with a towed short-barrelled 105mm howitzer.  These were highly mobile units that could shoot and move fast.  They were constantly on the move assisting infantry unit assaults or defending positions.  

I have included 2 links that will go int detail about the 63rd Infantry division.  I hope they helps and Thank you

Military History

Paul Sutton

I can answer questions on World War Two weapons, tactics, and strategy. I can answer questions on Weapons systems and their development. I can answer guestions on Space exploration history. I am a World War 2 expert. I study Military Weapons Systems and the usage of those systems.

I work for Saint Petersburg College as a TRS or Technology resources specialist. I read 10 to 15 books a year on World War 2 and weapon systems. I also have a BA in History from USF.

I have a BA in history from USF.