Military History/Grant S. Allen, PFC, 6th Signal Company

Question
I have numerous questions beginning with block 30 truck driver light 345, what is 345? Block 31 rifle ex 16 June 43 I am assuming this meant he reached expertise in with his rifle. Is that correct? Block 33 Awarded 2 Bronze stars for the above campaign (New Guinea, Luzon) WDGO 33 40 1945. What does WDGO stand for? Block 36. 20 Sept 43 APTO  26 Sep 43 (second line) 14 Oct 45 USA 1 Nov 45 I believe that represents the ship he was on. Can you tell me which ship that was? Block 40. RAR 615-365 conv of the Govt RR 1-1 (demobilization) 15 Dec 44. What does all of this mean? Block 55 No time lost under AW 107 Lapel Button issued entitled to WAER ASIATIC PAC THEATRE CAMPAIGN RIBBON AMER THEATRE CAMPAIGN RIBBON AMER DEV SERV RIBBON.  Philippine LIBERATION RIBBON W/BZ STAR ASR SCORE (2 SEP 45) 85. I have no idea how to get these ribbons and would like some information on them.

My father passed away in 1991 and I am the only surviving member of the family and before I'm gone would like to put some history together for my Dad so my Grandchildren will know who he was and what he stood for.

Answer
Dear Ms.,
       Thank you for your question.  In it you typed "PFC".  $54.00 per month was the pay for a Private, First Class.
       In your question you typed "6th Signal Company".  The 6th Signal Company was organic to the 6th Infantry Division throughout WW 2.  There is a unit history:

THE 6th INFANTRY DIVISION In WORLD WAR II, 1939-1945

The Battery Press, in Nashville, TN has available an EXCELLENT reprint, & quite affordable as well.  I have my copy before me as I type.
       In your question you typed "what is 345?"  Your father's M.O.S. (Military Occupational Specialty) is identified with both a phrase & a number.  In this case, "345".  My father's M.O.S. was Artillery Mechanic Light 913.
       In your question you typed "Is that correct?"  Yes.
       In your question you typed "Awarded 2 Bronze stars".  Actually, the original typist should have typed Awarded 2 Bronze Service Stars.  A Bronze Service Star is different than a Bronze Star Medal for Valour.
       In your question you typed "New Guinea, Luzon".

New Guinea     January 24, 1943-December 31, 1944
Luzon          December 15, 1944-July 4, 1945

In your question you typed "WDGO".  War Department General Order.  The term Department of Defense did not come into usage until the National Defense Act of September 1947.
       In your question you typed "Can you tell me what ship that was?"

Departure Date:   September 20, 1943
Departure Location:   San Francisco Port of Embarkation
Troop Ship:   USS Wm. P. Biddle  APA-8
Arrival Date:   September 25, 1943
Arrival Location:   Pearl Harbor

The difference between September 25, 1943 & "26 Sep 43" is that the first date is when the troop ship docked, the second date is when your father stepped off the troop ship & onto dry land

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Departure Date:   October 14, 1945
Departure Location:   Tacloban, Leyte, Philippine Islands
Troop Ship:  USS Lubbock  APA-197
Arrival Date:   November 1, 1945
Arrival Location:   San Francisco Port of Embarkation

In your question you typed "What does all of this mean?"  On Friday, December 15, 1944, the US Military determined the criteria for the discharge of its personnel after hostilities ceased.  
       In your question you typed "No time lost under AW 107".  Between date of induction (Box #22) & date of entry (Box #24) some personnel needed more that the normal 7-14 days to place their personal affairs in order.  Your father did not.
       In your question you typed "ASIATIC PAC THEATRE CAMPAIGN RIBBON".  For service in the Asiatic-Pacific Theater.  This was the ribbon that the two Bronze Service Stars would be placed upon.
       In your question you typed "AMER THEATRE CAMPAIGN RIBBON".  For service outside the U.S. in the American Theatre for 30 days, or within the continental U.S. for one year.
       In your question you typed "AMER DEV SERV RIBBON".  For service within the continental U.S. prior to Sunday, December 7, 1941.
       In your question you typed "Philippine LIBERATION RIBBON W/BZ STAR".  Presented by The Philippine Government to those who participated in the liberation of The Philippines betweem October 17, 1944 & September 3, 1945.  Since your father was awarded this ribbon twice (the second award was the "W/BZ STAR) he must have made a significant contribution to the liberation of The Philippines.
       In your question you typed "ASR SCORE (2 SEP 45) 85."  Your father had a total of 85 "points" or Adjusted Rating Service Score.  "Points" were determined by the lenght of time in service, length of time overseas, quantity of Campaigns participated in, marital status, children, etc.
       There is one additional award that your father did receive.  The 6th Signal Company (ALL assigned personnel) was awarded a Meritorious Unit Commendation for the period January 9 through April 30, 1945.  General Order #106, Head Quarters 6th Infantry Division.  The citation was awarded June 14, 1945.
       In your question you typed "I have no idea how to get these ribbons".  First, may I suggest you obtain the medal & not the ribbon.  As to a source:

Medals of America Press
114 Southchase Blvd.
 Fountain Inn, South Carolina
   29644-9019

1 (864) 862-6051

The type of service they provide is EXACTLY what you are in need of.  They will help, without trying to sell you alot of extra stuff you do NOT need.  Have your father's Discharge Document (WD AGO Form 53-55) handy when you contact them.
       Good Luck with your quest.

Sincerely,
   Richard V. Horrell
    WW 2 Connections  

Military History

Richard V. Horrell