Military History/MOS 657 - Medic

Question
Hello - My father, WWII veteran who served in the 13th armored, was a Medic, Litter Carrier, MOS 657, exposed to tank noise and gunfire during rescue of downed/shot servicemen.  I keep looking in the VA FAST letter 10-35 for his MOS as an Army enlisted serviceman, but can't find anything equivalent to his MOS.  Do you have any information you can add to help.  He is 92 and we are pursuing a hearing loss claim with the VA, and this information could be helpful.  Thank you in advance.

Answer
Dear Ms.,
       Thank you for your question.  In it you typed "13th armored".  Are you referring to the 13th Armored Regiment, 13th Armored Group or 13th Armored Division?  Please provide me with ALL THE DATES typed in Box #36 on page two of your father's Discharge Documents (WD AGO Form 53-55)?  With those FACTS I should be able to determine the unit your father was assigned [assigned] to while overseas during WW 2.
       In your question you typed "Medic, Litter Carrier, MOS 657" (Military Occupational Specialty 657).  The following is from TM12-427, W.D.T.M. (War Department Technical Manual) Military Occupational Classification of Enlisted Personnel, published by the War Department (the Department of Defense did not exist until the National Defense Act of September 1947) on July 12, 1944:

"MEDICAL AIDMAN (657) Performs various duties to assist technicians in medical department activities.  Administers first-aid treatment to sick, injured, or wounded.  Treats minor injuries and wounds, such as cuts, blisters, contusions, and lacerations, applying medicants and bandaging wounds.  Makes and applies arm or leg splints, treats patients for shock, and stops bleeding by approved methods.  Lifts patients onto litter, and carries to aid station, ambulance loading point, or collecting station.  Performs routine duties in the care and treatment of patients, taking temperature and pulse readings, bathing and feeding patients, and preparing patients for operations.  Makes beds, cleans and washes equipment and floors, and assists in sterilizing instruments.  Performs related duties as directed.  Must have received medical basic training."

In your question you typed "I keep looking in the VA........equivalent to his MOS."  Now you can stop looking.  You have the FACTS, from the era in question.
       In your question you typed "Do you have any information you can add to help."  Information, no.
       In your question you typed "He is 92 and we.......information could be helpful."  Best of luck with your endeavour.
       Good Luck with your quest.

Respectfully,
   Richard V. Horrell
    WW 2 Connections  

Military History

Richard V. Horrell