Military History/1090th Engineer Utility Company

My grandfather served in WWII with the Corp of Engineers 1090. He passed away a few years ago. Since that time we have discovered several items from WWII that we have questions about. I was hoping you could give me some information about his unit and a list of people he served with. My grandfathers name was Tony E. Shifalo from  New Orleans LA. I dont have his discharge information but I have his Army serial number 18151953. Some of the items we have found include a German Natzi Flag, a picture that we assume is his unit with the flag, and a cap with a list of locations (we assume the places he served). My grandfather NEVER talked about the war. He would only say he made his peace with God and it was not to be brought up again. Any information you can provide will be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Dear Ms.,
       Thank you for your question.  In it you typed "I was hoping you could give me some information about his unit.  GLADLY!!!  Commanded by Major A.P. Dennis, the 1090th Engineer Utility Company participated in the following Campaigns:

Sicily:          July 9-August 17, 1943
Naples-Foggia:    September 9, 1943-January 21, 1944
Rome-Arno:        January 22-September 9, 1944
Southern France:  August 15-September 14, 1944
Rhineland:        September 15, 1944-March 21, 1945
Central Europe:   March 22-May 8, 1945

as well as the Army of Occupation in Germany, May 2-August 14, 1945.
       During the Naples-Foggia & Rome-Arno Campaigns, the 1090th Engineer Utility Company was assigned [assigned] to the Peninsular Base Section, the Logistical Support Entity for US Fifth Army in Italy.
       In your question you typed "picture that we assume is his unit with the flag".  The men in the photograph, please refer to THEIR left sleeve, near the shoulder.  Do you see a shoulder patch?  If so, please describe the shoulder patch as best you can.
       In your question you typed "a cap with a list of locations".  If you were to share the "locations" I may be able to provide a more detailed route the unit followed from Sicily to Germany.
       Good Luck with your quest.

Richard V. Horrell
    WW 2 Connections

Military History

Richard V. Horrell

Can answer: World War Two. Specifically, the troop transport ships that took US Military Personnel overseas & returned them to the US, 1941-47. Also, unit history of US Army QM, Signal, MP, Ordnance, Medical, Transportation & Engineer units that served during WW 2. The more obscure units are my specialty. If you have the APO that a Veteran sent letters from or received letters at, I can look up the history of that APO.

A lifelong study of WW 2, including participation as a WW 2 Re-enactor, 1980-2002. Also, interviewing over 400 WW 2 Veterans about their role in WW 2.

AASLH, Middle Tennessee Genealogical Society

Over 800 Profiles that I have written for client's about their loved one's role in WW 2.

BA, History & Political Science (19th & 20th Century European History) Webster University, Webster Groves, MO.

Assisting the National Archives on numerous occasions during the 50th Anniversary Commemoration of WW 2, 1991-95.

Respectfully, I do not disclose the names of the clients I deal with. I have a confidentially agreement with them.