Military History/733rd Railway Operating Battalion, Company B

My father served in this battalion as a welder from October 1943 until April 1945.  He would never talk about the war and so we don't know much about what he did.  I have pictures of men, some destroyed buildings and some trains that he worked on but no stories to pass on to my grandchildren.  Can you help me understand what his company did.  I you would like his documents or the pictures I have photographed them and can send them to you.  Thanks for any help you can provide.

Dear Ms.,
       Thank you for your question.  In it you typed "Can you help me understand what his company did."  His "company", no, the battalion, yes.  The 733rd Railway Operating Battalion T.C. operated & maintained 120 miles of right of way.  Activated at New Orleans, Louisiana on November 23, 1943 with assets from the Central Railroad of Georgia, the 733rd departed an East Coast (USA) Port of Embarkation June 16, 1944.  Arriving in Great Britain on June 27, 1944, the 733rd crossed the English Channel to enter France in August 1944.  Participating in the Northern France (July 25-September 14, 1944) & Rhineland (September 15, 1944-March 21, 1945) Campaigns, the 733rd served in the Army of Occupation, Germany, June 4-August 15, 1945.  The voyage home for the 733rd is as follows:

Departure Date:   November 30, 1945
Departure Location:   Marseilles, France
Troop Ship:   SS Maryville Victory
Arrival Date:   December 16, 1945
Arrival Location:   New York Port of Embarkation
    via the Straits of Gibraltar

In your question you typed "would like his documents"?  YES!!!  Please photocopy your father's "documents" then send the photocopies to me via First Class USPS.  Please be sure to include your e-mail address for ease of response.  It would be my pleasure to share with you any FACTS I glean from your father's "documents".
       Good Luck with your quest.

Richard V. Horrell
    WW 2 Connections
     2011 Richard Jones Road
      Apt      E 26
       Nashville   TN   37215-2837

Military History

Richard V. Horrell

Can answer: World War Two. Specifically, the troop transport ships that took US Military Personnel overseas & returned them to the US, 1941-47. Also, unit history of US Army QM, Signal, MP, Ordnance, Medical, Transportation & Engineer units that served during WW 2. The more obscure units are my specialty. If you have the APO that a Veteran sent letters from or received letters at, I can look up the history of that APO.

A lifelong study of WW 2, including participation as a WW 2 Re-enactor, 1980-2002. Also, interviewing over 400 WW 2 Veterans about their role in WW 2.

AASLH, Middle Tennessee Genealogical Society

Over 800 Profiles that I have written for client's about their loved one's role in WW 2.

BA, History & Political Science (19th & 20th Century European History) Webster University, Webster Groves, MO.

Assisting the National Archives on numerous occasions during the 50th Anniversary Commemoration of WW 2, 1991-95.

Respectfully, I do not disclose the names of the clients I deal with. I have a confidentially agreement with them.