Military History/980th Field Artillery Battalion history

Question
I have the history of the 980th fa but do you have any better info than is in the history. my father was in this unit and I have many pictures.

Answer
Dear Sir,
       Thank you for your question.  In it you typed "I have the history of the 980th fa".  Good for you!  I referenced:

United States Army Unit And Organizational Histories
A Bibliography
by James T. Controvich

& there is no unit history listed for the 980th Field Artillery Battalion.  
       In your question you typed "do you have any better info than is in the history."  Since there is no ref. as to a unit history of the 980th Field Artillery Battalion, I am unable to visit the local Public Library to Inter-Library Loan a copy of the unit history of the 980th Field Artillery Battalion.  Therefore, "better" is a moot point.  I have no "info" to share about the 980th Field Artillery Battalion, but the following are the FACTS I have researched for you:

980th Field Artillery Battalion, California National Guard

Federalized into the US Army at Santa Barbara, California, February 3, 1941 as the 1st Battalion, 144th Field Artillery Regiment

Transferred to Fort Lewis, Washington State & assigned [assigned] to the 76th Field Artillery Brigade, February 18, 1941

Re-designated 980th Field Artillery Battalion, California National Guard at Fort Lewis, Washington State, February 8, 1943

Departed Boston Port of Embarkation December 29, 1943

Sailed on the SS Santa Rosa (2,501 Troops onboard)

Arrived at Bristol, England January 9, 1944

Assigned [assigned] to VII Corps, First Army mid January 1944

Located at Winborne, England May 31, 1944

Attached [attached] to the 4th Infantry Division, 100 men & 20 vehicles of the 980th Field Artillery Battalion, California National Guard made an amphibious assault onto UTAH Beach, Cotentin Peninsula, France, Tuesday, June 6, 1944

CAMPAIGNS

Normandy          June 6-July 24, 1944
Northern France     July 25-September 14, 1944
Rhineland          September 15, 1944-March 21, 1945
Ardennes-Alsace     December 16, 1944-January 15, 1945
Central Europe      March 22-May 8, 1945

Attached [attached] to the 4th Infantry Division, VII Corps, First Army, June 6-8, 1944

Assigned [assigned] to VII Corps, First Army, 298 men & 66 vehicles of the 980th Field Artillery Battalion, California National Guard came across UTAH Beach, Cotentin Peninsula, France, June 9, 1944

Attached [attached] to the 90th Infantry Division, VII Corps, First Army, June 13-15, 1944

Assigned [assigned] to VII Corps, First Army, 159 men & 32 vehicles of the 980th Field Artillery Battalion, California National Guard came across UTAH Beach, Cotentin Peninsula, France, June 16, 1944

Located at Cretteville, France, July 24, 1944

Attached [attached] to the 1st Infantry Division, VII Corps, First Army, March 30-31, 1945 & April 13-23, 1945

Assigned [assigned] to the Army of Occupation, Germany, May 20-October 31, 1945

Departed an ETO Port of Embarkation late October 1945

Arrived at the Boston Port of Embarkation November 12, 1945

De-activated at Camp Myles Standish, Massachusetts, November 13, 1945

Good Luck with your quest.

Respectfully,
   Richard V. Horrell
    WW 2 Connections  

Military History

Richard V. Horrell