Military History/Assistance with my father's wherabouts in WWII

Question
Discharge
Discharge  
Good afternoon:

I'm trying to retrace my father's locations during WWII.  I would like to be able to determine the ships he traveled to/from Europe on and his locations while there. According to his discharge paper (attached), he was wounded a second time on August 5, 1944.  I remember hearing him tell about his long stay in a hospital in England but I can't find that information either.  He talked about landing on Omaha Beach on day 2.  I know he was wounded twice but I'd like to find out the locations, if possible.  He was told his papers were destroyed in a fire so I've been unable to find documents.  Any assistance or ideas that you might be able to provide are much appreciated.  My father died in 2009 but I would love to capture this information for our remaining family.  He was a quiet, kind and wonderful man and I would like to provide as much of his history as I can to his grandchildren.   

Thank you so much  Atanda Clark

Answer
Good Day,
       Thank you for your question.  Also, THANK YOU for attaching page two of your father's Discharge Documents (WD AGO Form 53-55).  It is always a pleasure to begin ACCURATE historic research with FACTS.  Again, THANK YOU!
       In your question you typed "I would like to be.......to/from Europe on".  For both of your father's voyages his troop ship was a part of a large troop ship convoy.  Therefore, I am inable to identify the specific troop ship, but I can identify the troop ships in the convoy.

Departure Date:   March 23, 1944
Departure Location:   New York Port of Embarkation
Troop Ships:   USS Thurston  AP-77
         USAT Henry Gibbins
         USAT James Parker
         USAT Saturnia
         SS Marine Eagle
         SS Ocean Mail
         RMS Athlone Castle
         RMS Duchess of Bedford
Arrival Date:   April 3, 1944
Arrival Location:   Gourock, Scotland

Thr following troop ships were a part of the same troops ship convoy, but arrived at a different location on April; 3, 1944:

RMS Dominion Monarch        Liverpool, England
RMS Stirling Castle         Liverpool, England

USS Dorothea L. Dix  AP-67        Belfast, Northern Ireland

USS Anne Arundel  AP-76        Newport, England

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Departure Date:   December 1, 1944
Departure Location:   Liverpool, England

Troop Ships:   RMS Moreton Bay
         SS John Ericsson
         SS Madawaska Victory
         SS Marine Panther
         SS Santa Cecilia
         USAT George Washington
         USS General G.O. Squier  AP-130
         USS General J.R. Brooke  AP-132

Arrival Date:   December 12, 1944
Arrival Location:   New York Port of Embarkation

The following troops ships were a part of the same troop ship convoy, but arrived at a different location on December 12, 1944:

SS Santa Maria        Boston Port of Embarkation
SS Marine Robin        Boston Port of Embarkation

NOTE:  Your father was taken onboard the troop ship November 29, 1944.  The troop ship convoy sailed December 1, 1944.  It took time to safely place onboard troop ships the thousands of casualties being returned to the USA for additional medical care and/or rehabilitation.

My apology for not being able to determine the specific troop ship, what I have typed is the best I can do.

In your question you typed "his locations while there."  I suggest you obtain a copy of the unit history of the 38th Infantry Regiment during WW 2:

The Thirty-Eighth United States Infantry
by Edward O. Ethell & Paul A. Cardwell
Pilsen, Czechoslovakia        Planografia, Novy, Vsetisk, and Grafika        1945

In your question you typed "He talked about landing on Omaha Beach on day 2."  The 38th Infantry Regiment landed across OMAHA Beach on D+2, Thursday, June 8, 1944.
       In your question you typed "I know he was wounded.......the locations, if possible."  On June 20, 1944 the 38th Infantry Regiment was in combat approximately 3 miles East of St. Lo, France.  On August 5, 1944, the 38th Infantry Regiment was in combat approximately 8 miles North of Vire, France.
       In your question you typed "He was told his papers.......unable to find documents."  In July 1973, there was a fire at the Military Personnel Records Center, St. Louis, MO that destroyed approximately 85% of all US Army Personnel Files from WW 2.  However, I suggest that everyone try to obtain their loved one's Personnel File.  Someone has to be in the LUCKY 15%!!!

National Personnel Records Center
1 Archives Drive
St. Louis   MO   63138

In your letter-of-request, enclose a PHOTOCOPY of your father's WD AGO Form 53-55, indicate he is deceased, that you are his child & that this is for genealogical purposes ONLY.  Do NOT include his Social Security Number!!!
       Good Luck with your quest.

Sincerely,
   Richard V. Horrell
    WW 2 Connections

Military History

Richard V. Horrell