Military History/Bronze star device

Question
QUESTION: Sir----I was in the Marine Corps with 1st Maw Mag-12 in Chu Lai from "66" to May of "68". Can You tell me how many Bronze stars I rate on my VietNam ribbon. Thank You Sir!

ANSWER: Dear Robert,
         You rate five (5) bronze star devices which equals one (1) silver star device for the following campaigns:

*Vietnam Counter-Offensive Phase I: December 25, 1965 to June 30, 1966

*Vietnam Counter-Offensive Phase II: July 1, 1966 to May 31, 1967

*Vietnam Counter-Offensive Phase III: June 1, 1967 to January 29, 1968

*Tet Counter-Offensive: January 30, 1968 to 1 April 1968

*Vietnam Counter-Offensive Phase IV: April 2, 1968 to June 30, 1968

May God Bless-Colonel Robert A. Lynn, Florida Guard

QUESTION: Sir----Could You please set the record straight for us. I and some others always thought that the number of bronze stars on the Nam service ribbon, was based on the number of tours you were in Nam. IE 1 tour the ribbon, 2 tours 1 star added etc. But You confirmed (your answer above) what I also researched and saw, that it was the # of campaigns not tours. Can You please clarify the confusion. Thank You!-------------------------Robert          Semper Fi Sir!

Answer
Dear Robert,
         The Vietnam Service Medal was authorized by Executive Order on 8 July 1965 for U.S. military personnel serving the Vietnam Theater of Operations after 3 July 1965 through 28 March 1973. Personnel must have served in Vietnam on temporary duty for at least 30 consecutive/60 nonconsecutive days or have served in Vietnam in combat with a unit directly supporting a military operation in Southeast Asia. Military personnel serving in Laos, Cambodia, or Thailand in direct support of operations in Vietnam are also eligible for this award. Bronze and silver stars are authorized to signify participation in any of the 17 designated campaigns during the inclusive period. You can look up both the names and dates of campaigns for the Army and Naval service as well as Air Force service on the internet. You may also look in Captain Shelby L. Stanton, U.S. Army Special Forces (Retired) best selling book entitled The U.S. Army Order Of Battle For The Vietnam War (Revised). May God Bless and Semper Fidelis-Colonel Robert A. Lynn, Florida Guard

Military History

LTC Robert A. Lynn, Florida Guard