Military History/BTRY C, 633rd AAA Auto-Weapons Battalion in WW 2

Question
Mr. Horrell,
I am researching my dad's unit in WW II, BTRY C 633D AAA AW BN.  I have some general info, and some stories from him, but I would appreciate, if possible, as much detail regarding specific battles, actions, transport, etc. to place his participation in the context of the campaign.  His report of separation lists the following battles/campaigns: ARDENNES (I assume the Bulge), CENTRAL EUROPE, NORMANDY (said he landed D+3), NORTHERN FRANCE, RHINELAND.  He was in Iceland for unspecified time before continuing to England. Record states departure, 20 AUG 42 for ETO & arrived 31AUG42.  He was wounded in action on 7 FEB 45 and I'd like to know where they were at that date. I   know the 633D was with the 80th infantry, as report states he was awarded Purple Heart GO 44 HQ 80th INF DIV 13 FEB 45.  He departed ETO 27 SEP 45 arrived back 5 OCT 45.  I have numerous war souvenirs he brought back and am trying to capture some sort of time line for the 3 yrs, 1 month, 16 days he spent "overseas" as he used to say.  Thanks for anything you can provide.

Answer
Dear Sir,
       Thank you for your question.  In it you typed "His report of separation lists.......NORTHERN FRANCE, RHINELAND."

Normandy          June 6-July 24, 1944
Northern France   July 25-September 14, 1944
Rhineland         September 15, 1944-March 21, 1945
Ardennes-Alsace   December 16, 1944-January 15, 1945 (yes, you "assume" correctly)
Central Europe    March 22-May 8, 1945

While your father "said he landed D+3" the 14 volume history of U.S. First Army indicated the 205 vehicles & 817 Officers & Enlisted Men of the 633rd landed across OMAHA Beach on D+9.
       In your question you typed "He was in Icelend for.......& arrived 31AUG42."

Departure Date:   August 20, 1942
Departure Location:   Boston Port of Embarkation
Troop Ship:   RMS Ormonde
Arrival Date:   August 31, 1942
Arrival Location:   Reykjavik, Iceland
    via Halifax, Nova Scotia

In your question you typed "He was wounded in action.......they were at that date."  Your father was wounded in action along the Luxembourg-German border, between Vianden, Luxembourg & Bollendorf, Germany.
       In your question you typed "I know the 633Dwas........INF DIV 13 FEB 45."  The 633rd AAA Auto-Weapons Battalion was attached [attached] to the 80th Infantry Division, August 9, 1944-May 13, 1945.
       In your question you typed "He departed ETO 27 SEP 45 arrived back 5 OCT 45."

Departure Date:   September 27, 1945
Departure Location:   Southampton, England
Troop Ship:   SS Costa Rica Victory
Arrival Date:   October 5, 1945
Arrival Location:   New York Port of Embarkation

Again, from the 14 volume history of U.S. First Army, the 633rd AAA Auto-Weapons Battalion was located at the following locations on the dates listed:

Honiton, Devon, England; October 24, 1943
Brooklands, Surrey, England;  May 31, 1944
Cardonville, Normandy, France;  July 24, 1944

There was an adequate unit history of the 80th Infantry Division published by Turner Publishing Company of Paducah, Kentucky.  That volune may susuffice, as per maps & information for additional research on your part.
       Good Luck with your quest.

Respectfully,
   Richard V. Horrell
    WW 2 Connections  

Military History

Richard V. Horrell