Military History/1800's Army Button Found

Question
QUESTION: Hi Michael,

I just got back from a trip with my family traveling the Oregon Trail.  We stopped at Fort Laramie in Wyoming and while I was looking for rocks to collect, I came across a button that looks like it could be off of a 1800's Army jacket.  If I sent you pictures of the front and back could you give me your thoughts?

ANSWER: Sure I should be able to tell you with a relative certainty if I had pictures.

front
front  
QUESTION: I have attached the photos.  Thank you for your help. Could you also let me know if there is any value in the button?

Answer
Hello, it is a Civil War era General Service coat button. Adopted in 1854 and discontinued post Civil War, 1865. Dug buttons do have some value to collectors, usually a few dollars for the more common ones like yours. Its the location that usually adds the values.

Military History

Michael O'Reagan