Military History/289th Engineer Combat Battalion attachments

In an unpublished history of the 289th Engineer Combat Battalion by its sole commanding officer during World War II, Lt. Col. Linnel Wallace, he suggests the 289th ECB was attached at one point to the 101st Cavalry Reconnaissance Squadron, and another the 12th Armored Division.  The first may have been in March 1945 around the time the XXI Corps (to which the 289th was normally attached directly) crossed the Saar at Saarbrucken; the second (and possibly the 101st as well) during an April into early May dash by the XXI from northern Baden-Wurtemburg through Bavaria into Austria (and briefly into Italy).

Can you please confirm either or both of these attachments, indicating if you would at the same time the upline chain of command either of the indicated units would have been in.

Thanks in advance for your help. It's a terrific thing that you do.

Dear Sir,
       Thank you for your question.  Regrettably, I cannot confirm the FACTS you desire.  May I suggest you obtain the unit records of the 289th Engineer Combat Battalion from:

US Army Heritage & Education Center
   950 Soldiers Road
    Carlisle   PA   17013

Good Luck with your quest.

Richard V. Horrell
    WW 2 Connections

Military History

Richard V. Horrell

Can answer: World War Two. Specifically, the troop transport ships that took US Military Personnel overseas & returned them to the US, 1941-47. Also, unit history of US Army QM, Signal, MP, Ordnance, Medical, Transportation & Engineer units that served during WW 2. The more obscure units are my specialty. If you have the APO that a Veteran sent letters from or received letters at, I can look up the history of that APO.

A lifelong study of WW 2, including participation as a WW 2 Re-enactor, 1980-2002. Also, interviewing over 400 WW 2 Veterans about their role in WW 2.

AASLH, Middle Tennessee Genealogical Society

Over 800 Profiles that I have written for client's about their loved one's role in WW 2.

BA, History & Political Science (19th & 20th Century European History) Webster University, Webster Groves, MO.

Assisting the National Archives on numerous occasions during the 50th Anniversary Commemoration of WW 2, 1991-95.

Respectfully, I do not disclose the names of the clients I deal with. I have a confidentially agreement with them.