Military History/289th Engineer Combat Battalion attachments

Question
Greetings.

In an unpublished history of the 289th Engineer Combat Battalion by its sole commanding officer during World War II, Lt. Col. Linnel Wallace, he suggests the 289th ECB was attached at one point to the 101st Cavalry Reconnaissance Squadron, and another the 12th Armored Division.  The first may have been in March 1945 around the time the XXI Corps (to which the 289th was normally attached directly) crossed the Saar at Saarbrucken; the second (and possibly the 101st as well) during an April into early May dash by the XXI from northern Baden-Wurtemburg through Bavaria into Austria (and briefly into Italy).

Can you please confirm either or both of these attachments, indicating if you would at the same time the upline chain of command either of the indicated units would have been in.

Thanks in advance for your help. It's a terrific thing that you do.

Answer
Dear Sir,
       Thank you for your question.  Regrettably, I cannot confirm the FACTS you desire.  May I suggest you obtain the unit records of the 289th Engineer Combat Battalion from:

US Army Heritage & Education Center
   950 Soldiers Road
    Carlisle   PA   17013

Good Luck with your quest.

Respectfully,
   Richard V. Horrell
    WW 2 Connections

Military History

Richard V. Horrell