Military History/My Grandpa

Question
QUESTION: Dear Mr.Horrell, Than. You in advice for trying to help me. I am doing research on my grandpa. All I know at this point is his name Glen Walter Erickson his birth date is 3/18/1916 and death date is 5/23/1974. He may have been enlisted June18th 1945 and relsead October 23 1946. My Aunts and Uncle said he operated cranes in WWII. I am trying to see if he was overseas or not. I don't have any papers for him all my info I found was from word of mouth, calling the cemetery where hes burie,  and looking on 3Fold. If u could help me an point me in the right direction it would be greatly appreciate.  Thank you very much sir. Sincerely Jenny

ANSWER: Dear Ms.,
       Thank you for your question.  In it you typed "death date is 5/23/1974."  Does your grandfather have a military style headstone?  If so, then his family provided the cemetery with a copy of his Discharge Documents (WD AGO Form 53-55).  I suggest you contact the cemetery & ask them specifically if they have on file for your grandfather a copy of his Discharge Documents (WD AGO Form 53-55).  Also, your grandfather was provided with 6-10 copies of his Discharge Documents (WD AGO Form 53-55).  Where are those 6-10 copies in 2015?  
       In your question you typed "He may have been enlisted June 18, 1945 and released October 23, 1946."  What is your source for what you typed?  
       In your question you typed "I don't have any papers for him".  Veterans were encouraged to register a copy of their Discharge Documents (WD AGO Form 53-55)  at the Court House of the county they would reside in after discharge.  I suggest you visit in person the Court House of the county that your grandfather resided in after discharge to learn if he indeed register a copy of his Discharge Documents (WD AGO From 53-55).  If he did so, you may obtain a photocopy.  Discharge Documents (WD AGO Form 53-55) are in the Public Domain, so anyone may obtain a photocopy of someone's Discharge Documents.
       In your question you typed "all my info I found was from word of mouth".  Oral History has its place, but only after your research with FACTS.  Once you determine the FACTS about your grandfather's service in WW 2, as well as the unit he was assigned [assigned] to, then you can obtain the unit records & you are good to go.
       Good Luck with your quest.

Happy Easter,
   Richard V. Horrell
    WW 2 Connections

QUESTION: Thank you for your info. Yes he has a bronze service headstone. The enlistment and release dates came of 3FOLD.COM my family has been helping me as much as they can. How accurate is that website Usuall?

Answer
Dear Ms.,
       Thank you for your follow-up.  In it you typed "Yes he has a bronze service headstone."  The Funeral Home had to have a copy of your grandfather's Discharge Documents (WD AGO Form 53-55) to provide the V.A.  You need to have a conversation, in person, with the Funeral Home.
       In your follow-up you typed "How accurate is that website Usuall [sic]?"  I have no idea, I do NOT utilize the internet for FACTS, only published sources.  The internet has no editor to check for FACTS, books do!
       Good Luck with your quest.

Happy Easter,
   Richard V. Horrell
    WW 2 Connections

Military History

Richard V. Horrell