Military History/Troopship

Question
Hi Richard,

I am trying to confirm the ship my father returned home on from WWII as part of the 79th Infantry Division, 314th Regiment, 3rd Battalion HQ. His WD AGO Form 53 has the dates in box 32 of 30 Nov 1945 and 18 Dec 1945. The 313th Infantry Regiment unit history cites an article from the 6 Dec 1945 Baltimore Sun that the Cornelius Hartnett arrived on 16 Dec 1945 with 3rd Battation HQ. Do your records confirm that this is most likely the ship he was on?

Form 53 also lists his departure dates as 13 May 1944 and 23 May 1944. Through a process of elimination, I have come to the conclusion he was aboard the George S Simonds. I don't know what unit he was with at the time. He and 95 other officers from the 42 Division were to be replacements for losses incurred on D-Day and shortly thereafter. The George S Simonds was part of a large convoy so it's hard to pin point what hip he was on. Does your research point to any other viable candidates?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Answer
Troop Ships
Troop Ships  
Dear Mr. ___________,

Thank you for your question.  In it you typed "departure dates as 13 May 1944 and 23 May 1944."  OK, I accept those FACTS.
       In your question you typed "Through a process of elimination".  "Elimination" from what?  Please explain your process.
       In your question you typed "George S Simonds."  I am familiar with the troop ship USAT George S. Simonds.  Please note the attached convoy of troop ships from May 1944.  You list your father's departure date as May 13, 1944.  I list the departure date of the USAT George S. Simonds as May 12, 1944.  Therefore, the "elimination" you typed of does not work.  Again, please explain how you arrived at the USAT George S. Simonds?
       In your question you typed "Does your research point to any other viable candidates?"  Yes, the RMS Mauretania.  Please read the last entry of the attached.
       In your question you typed "box 32 of 30 Nov 1945 and 18 Dec 1945".  OK, I accept those FACTS.
       In your question you typed "Cornelius Hartnett arrived on 16 Dec 1945".  OK, I will agree with that.
       In your question you typed "Do your records confirm that this is most likely the ship he was on?"  No, only that the SS Cornelius Hartnett was one of a few troop ships that arrived at an East Coast USA Port of Embarkation from Marseilles, France with elements of the 79th Infantry Division onboard.
       Good Luck with your quest.

Richard V. Horrell
   WW 2 Connections  

Military History

Richard V. Horrell