Military History/WW 2 / SS Mariposa

Question
My friend's dad recalls being on the Mariposa ship and going to North Africa to transport prisoners, but thinks he was in 226 Field A Battalion. When I search for that Battalion it comes up as United Kingdom instead of USA.  Can you help us with a starting place to find out whether his number is incorrect?  Thank you!!

Answer
Dear Ms.,

Thank you for your question.  In it you typed "friend's dad recalls".  What prompted this recollection?  It has been 70 plus years since the event, how reliable is the recollection?
       In your question you typed "the Mariposa ship and going to North Africa to transport prisoners".

Departure Date:   April 16, 1943
Departure Location:   New York Port of Embarkation
Troop Ship:   SS Mariposa
Arrival Date:   April 24, 1943
Arrival Location:  Casablanca, Morocco

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Departure Date:   June 17, 1943
Departure Location:   Hampton Roads Port of Embarkation
Troop Ship:   SS Mariposa
Arrival Date:   June 29, 1943
Arrival Location:   Casablanca, Morocco

In your question you typed "226 Field A Battalion."  I am familiar with the 226th Field Artillery Battalion, New York National Guard.
       In your question you typed "When I search for that Battalion it comes up as United Kingdon instead of USA."  I do not understand your statement.  Are you typing origin or geographic location?
       In your question you typed "Can you help us with a starting place"?  Sure!  The 226th Field Artilley Battalion, New York National Guard was activated at Fort Shafter, Hawaii September 1, 1942 with assetts from the 2nd Battalion, 105th Field Artillery Regiment, New York National Guard.
       In your question you typed "his number is incorrect?"  Have you referred to your "friend's dad" Discharge Documents (WD AGO Form 53-55) for FACTS?  Your "friend's dad" was provided with 6-10 copies of his Discharge Documents (WD AGO Form 53-55) when he was discharged from the US Army.  Where are the 6-10 copies?
       Good Luck with your quest.

Respectfully,
   Richard V. Horrell
    WW 2 Connections  

Military History

Richard V. Horrell