Military History/634th AAA Automatic Weapons Battalion

Question
I read a response to a previous question, that you stated that the 634th AAA was awarded a Presidential Unit Citation for the defense of St. Vith during the period of Dec. 16 - 21, 1944. My father was assigned to the 634th and was wounded the morning of Dec. 16, 1944. Were would I go to verify that the 634th was awarded the Presidential Unit Citation and do you think that it would be possible to have his records amended to include this. I know most of his units records were destroyed in France and what records that survived were destroy in the fire in St. Louis in 1973. I have been able to to get his Purple Heart issued posthumously.

Answer
Dear Mr. Luther,
       Thank you for your question.  In it you typed "I read a response to a.......period of Dec. 16 - 21, 1944."  That is correct, the response was typed by me on May 30, 2012.
       In your question you typed "Were [sic] would I go to verify that the 634th was awarded the Presidential Unit Citation".  Since my response of May 30, 2012 does not suffice, I suggest you read page 744 of:

Antiaircraft Artillery Battalions of the US Army, Volume II
by James A. Sawicki
Dumfries, VA        Wyvern Publications        1991

ISBN   0-9602404-8-9

If that still does not suffice, then read page 341 of:

Department of the Army Pamphlet 672-1
Unit Citation and Campaign Participation Credit Register
 HQ, Department of the Army, July 1961

One more source, page 250 of:

St. Vith, Lion In The Way
by Colonel R. Ernest DuPuy
Nashville, TN        The Battery Press        1986

ISBN    0-89839-092-3

In your question you typed "do you think that it would be possible to have his records amended to include this."  I prefer not to provide my opinion, but to provide only FACTS.
       In your question you typed "I know most of his units records were destroyed in France".  If that is true, then how was I able to provide FACTS about the unit history of the 634th AAA Auto-Weapons Battalion on May 30, 2012?  HQ & HQ Company, 634th AAA Auto-Weapons Battalion were roughly handles on December 16-21, 1944 in Belgium, but any loss of unit records have been reconstructed from Divisional & Corps Records.
       In your question you typed "what records that survived were destroyed in the fire in St. Louis in 1973."  Personnel Files "were destroyed in the fire in St. Louis in 1973" NOT unit records.  Unit Records are located at:

US Army Heritage & Education Center
950 Soldiers Drive
 Carlisle   PA   17013

In your question you typed "I have been able to get his Purple Heart issued posthumously."  I do not understand the content of this sentence.  Please clarify.
       Good Luck with your quest.

Richard V. Horrell
   WW 2 Connections  

Military History

Richard V. Horrell