Military History/arrowhead award

Question
QUESTION: Hello, my father  landed on Utah Beach, D Day 2nd wave.  Why didn't he qualify for an arrowhead?  He has passed away and didn't talk much about the war.  We know for sure about d day, Paris liberation, Ardennes, and Central Europe.  We have his discharge papers and other documents that helped us trace his enlisted years. He was in England under the 2087 Quartermaster Trucking Co. (1580) and we think he was recruited by the 4th army division for the amphibious assault on d day. How can I find out what actually happened?

Gilberto G. Gonzalez
18158031.     10/1/42 to 12/4/45

He enlisted into the airforce 9th (Mission Texas) quartermaster 2087 (England) ??? D day, Paris, Ardennes, 7th armored infantry (23rd) Central Europe and discharged from 6th army.

ANSWER: Dear Ms.,
        Thank you for your question.  In it you typed "Utah Beach, D Day 2nd wave."  I am familiar with UTAH Beach on the morning of Tuesday, June 6, 1944.
        In your question you typed "Why didn't he qualify for an arrowhead?"  I do not know.  What Primary Source Documents do you possess that indicate your father was upon UTAH Beach, Cotentin Peninsula, Normandy, France the morning of Tuesday, June 6, 1944?
        In your question you typed "We know for sure about d day".  Again, what Primary Source Documents do you possess that indicate your father was upon UTAH Beach, Cotentin Peninsula, Normandy, France the morning of Tuesday, June 6, 1944?
        In your question you typed "Paris liberation".  Paris, France was liberated by the FRENCH 2nd Armored Division & the U.S. 4th Infantry Division on Friday, August 25, 1944.
        In your question you typed "Ardennes".  The Ardennes-Alsace Campaign was fought December 16, 1944-January 15, 1945 during the coldest European Winter of the 20th Century.
        In your question you typed "Central Europe."  The Central Europe Campaign was fought March 22-May 8, 1945.
        In your question you typed "We have his discharge papers".  GREAT!  It is always wonderful to begin ACCURATE historic research with a copy of the Veteran's Discharge Documents (WD AGO Form 53-55) available.  The four page documents were signed by the Veteran, indicating the accurate content by the Veteran himself.  The Veteran had the opportunity to check the documents for accuracy prior to signing, & if there were errors, to have the errors corrected.
        In your question you typed "He was in England under the 2087 Quartermaster Trucking Company."  I am going to assume you mean that your father was assigned [assigned] to the 2087th QM Truck Company.  The 2087th QM Truck Company participated in four Campaigns while serving in the E.T.O., 1944-45:

Normandy          June 6-July 24, 1944
Northern France   July 25-September 14, 1944
Ardennes-Alsace   December 16, 1944-January 15, 1945
Central Europe    March 22-May 8, 1945

as well as the Army of Occupation, Germany, May 20-October 31, 1945.  The 2087th QM Truck Company was also awarded a Meritorious Unit Commendation for the period of June 1-August 31, 1944.  General Order Number 78, awarded by HQ, 9th Air Force Service Command, USAAF, on June 26, 1945.
        In your question you typed "we think he was recruited by the 4th army division for the amphibious assault on d day."  You mean that you assume your father was attached [attached] to the 4th Infantry Division for the amphibious assault onto UTAH Beach on Tuesday, June 6, 1944?
        In your question you typed "How can I find out what actually happened?"  As per your father being attached [attached] to the 4th Infantry Division?  Research the unit records, located at:

US Army Heritage & Education Center
950 Soldiers Road
 Carlisle   PA   17013

In your question you typed "18158031".  A Serial Number beginning with the arabic numeral "1" generally indicates the soldier was a member of the Regular Army.  What is typed in Box #5 on page two of your father's Discharge Documents (WD AGO Form 53-55)?
        In your question you typed "He enlisted into the airforce 9th".  Respectfully, the "airforce" did not exist until the National Defense Act of September 1947.  Your father "enlisted" into the US Army, & then was assigned [assigned] to the Army Air Force.
        In your question you typed "Mission Texas".  I do not understand the purpose of this information.
        In your question you typed "quartermaster 2087".  I do not understand the purpose of this information.  
        In your question you typed "D day".  Yes, Tuesday, June 6, 1944.
        In your question you typed "Ardennes". Yes, a geographic location / term to denote the Ardennes-Alsace Campaign, December 16, 1944-January 15, 1945.
        In your question you typed "7th armored infantry".  I am familiar with the 7th Armored Infantry Battalion, an Organic Element of the 8th Armored Division.  Was your father ever assigned [assigned] to this unit?  If not, then I do not understand the purpose of this information.
        In your question you typed "23rd".  I do not understand the purpose of this information.
        In your question you typed "Central Europe".  Yes, a geographic location / term to denote the Central Europe Campaign, March 22-May 8, 1945.
        In your question you typed "discharged from 6th army."  On December 4, 1945, the US Sixth Army was located in Japan.
        Would you be so kind as to provide me with ALL THE DATES typed in Box #36 on page two of your father's Discharge Documents (WD AGO Form 53-55)?  You are also welcome to photocopy your father's Discharge Documents (WD AGO Form 53-55) then send the photocopies to me via First Class USPS.  Please be sure to include your e-mail address for ease of response.  It would be my pleasure to share with you all the FACTS I glean from the documents.
        Good Luck with your quest.

Respectfully,
   Richard V. Horrell
    WW 2 Connections
     2011 Richard Jones Road
      Apt.      E 26
       Nashville   TN   37215-2837

QUESTION: Mr. Horrell, thank you for your corrections and insight of my fathers enlisted years.  The 2087 QM did participate in the d day assault, but under what capacity.  Was it assigned or attached to a army infantry div. or unit or were they always part of the 9th Army Airforce.  What role did they play on d day? Were they not eligible for the arrowhead award and if so why?

When he was assigned to the 7th Arm'd, 23rd Batt. Co. A, was he still with the 2087 QM?

What does the 12th RDRC have to do with the memo sent to them about his Battle Participation Credit of the Ardennes?

So many questions... How can I obtain more info on the 2087 QM Trucking Co. 1520th QM Battalion? Are Daily Reports available?    Judy

Answer
Dear Ms.,
       Thank you for your follow-up.  In it you typed "The 2087 QM did participate in the.......award and if so why?"  I can find no record of the 2087th QM Truck Company making an amphibious assault onto UTAH nor OMAHA Beach on Tuesday, June 6, 1944.
       In your follow-up you typed "When he was assigned to.......with the 2087 QM?"  No.
       In your follow-up you typed "What does the 12th.......Credit of the Ardennes?"  I do not know.
       In your follow-up you typed "How can I obtain more info.......Daily Reports available?"  As I have already indicated to you, the unit records are available at Carlisle, Pennsylvania.

Richard V. Horrell
   WW 2 Connections

Military History

Richard V. Horrell