Military History/My Father

Question
Hello, my father fought in WW II and passed away several years ago. I asked my mother if she knew anything about his regiment and here is the info she gave me. He Was discharged in Nov 05, 1945. He served in Company F, 169th Infantry. Can you point me in the right direction? Would like to see if I can find any living companions that fought with my father so I can find out just what he did.

Answer
Dear Sir,
       Thank you for your question.  In it you typed "He served in Company F, 169th Infantry."  I am familiar with the 169th Infantry Regiment, Connecticut National Guard, an organic element of the 43rd Infantry Division during WW 2.
       In your question you typed "Would like to see if I can find any living companions that fought with my father so that I can find out just what he did."  With all due respect, Veterans of WW 2 are passing away at the rate of approximately 1,100 per day!  Even if you were able to locate a "living companion" their recollections would be 70-plus years old.  A person's memory can fade with time, especially when recalling the horrors of war.
       May I ask, what is your source that your father was assigned [assigned] to the 169th Infantry Regiment, Connecticut National Guard?  If it is Box #6 on page two of your father's Discharge Documents (WD AGO Form 53-55) that was the unit your father was assigned [assigned] to at the time he was discharged from the US Army.  It may have been the unit your father was assigned [assigned] to prior to September 2, 1945, or it may not have been.
       You are welcome to send me via First Class USPS a photocopy of your father's Discharge Documents (WD AGO Form 53-55).  Please include your e-mail address for ease of response.  It would be my pleasure to share with you any FACTS I glean from the Discharge Documents.
       Good Luck with your quest.

Respectfully,
   Richard V. Horrell
    WW 2 Connections
     2011 Richard Jones Road
      Apt      E 26
       Nashville   TN   37215-2837  

Military History

Richard V. Horrell