Military History/My Father's Service in WW 2

Question
QUESTION: Hi Richard,

I have a copy of my father's WWII Honorable Discharge record I am trying to find out more information than what I have below. I am missing a time gap.

Frank M.  Dillow, Army Serial number 36056134, was inducted into the U.S. Army 5 March 1942 in Scott Field, Illinois. He was stationed  somewhere in California and somewhere around Bellingham, Washington before being sent to New Guinea in the Pacific Theatre Campaign on 6 April 1944 and arrived on 20 April 1944. He served there until 5 Dec 1945 and arrived in the USA 23 Dec 1945 and received a Honorable Discharge 1 January 1946  at Jefferson Barracks, Missouri.

He served in Hq & Hq Btry 214 AAA Gp. Bn. CAC AUS. He received the rank of Corporal and his classification was Telephone Switchboard Operator. 650. He was demobilized AR 615-365 Conv of the Govt RR-I-I 15 Dec 1944.   He served in New Guinea and Morotai and served a total of 3 years 9 months and 27 days in World War II.  2 years 1 month and 9 days were in the United States and he was in Foreign Service 1 year 8 months and 18 days.  He received one Bronze Star for his service in New Guinea per GO 33-40 1945, and he received  the Good Conduct Medal, and he was issued a Lapel Button and also was entitled to wear the Asiatic Pacific Theatre Campaign Ribbon; American Theatre Campaign Ribbon; 3 overseas bars; Victory Ribbon :  ASR Score 76.  He was trained in rifle m m 13.July 1942. He was supposed to go to Alaska but was sent to the New Guinea Campaign instead.  There was no time lost under AW 107. his Honorable Discharge is filed in Union County, Illinois.

Marianne

ANSWER: Dear Ms. _?_?_,
       Thank you for your question.  In it you typed "I am missing a time gap."  LUCKY YOU!  There are thousands of families of WW 2 Veterans who wish they had your problem, that the timeline for their Veteran's service in WW 2 had no gap.  Personally, I find your timeline to be quite clear & concise.
       In your question you typed "He received one Bronze Star for his service in New Guinea per GO 33-40 1945".  While this is accurate, I suggst you place the word Campaign between "Bronze" & "Star" for a clearer statement.  
       Good Luck with your quest.

Respectfully,
   Richard V. Horrell
    WW 2 Connections

QUESTION: Hi again Richard,

I forgot to add this with my previous question above. Does this tell you anything more as to my father's location before or after his duty on Morotai in the New Guinea Campaign in WWII. ?  This is the last that I have.

While in service he sent his grandparents in Illinois a "Thinking of You" V-Mail. It was from Frank M. Dillow, 36056134, Hq Btry 214th AAA Gp. APO 926 c/o PM San Francisco, Ca. APO 926 is Fremantle, Australia.  It was posted by  U 23654Army Exchange.

Marianne

ANSWER: Dear Ms. _?_?_,
       Thank you for your follow-up.  In it you typed "Does this tell you anything more.......is the last that I have."  More about your "father's location", no.  However, as to the location of the 214th AAA Group, I already have that:

Takapuna, New Zealand, arriving December 31, 1943

Finschhafen, New Guinea, arriving June 22, 1944

Toem, New Guinea, arriving August 14, 1944

Morotai, arriving September 15, 1944

V-J Day, September 2, 1945

The Philippines, arriving December 8, 1945

In your follow-up you typed "While in service he sent his.......is Fremantle, Australia."

APO 926

began operations at Canberra, Australia, April 18, 1942

began oparations at Rockhampton, Australia, December 1942

began operations at Aitape, New Guinea, June 1944

began operations at Morotai, September 18, 1944

"Fremantle, Australia" is not listed as a location for APO 926.  The source for my FACTS are:

Military Postal History Society
Numbered Army & Air Force Post Office Locations; 7th Edition
by Russ Carter

What is your source that APO 926 was ever located at "Fremantle, Australia"?
       Since you have such an interest in the 214th AAA Group, may I suggest you obtain photocopies of the unit records?  The unit records are located at:

US Army Heritage & Education Center
950 Soldiers Drive
 Carlisle   PA   17013

Good Luck with your quest.

Respectfully,
   Richard V. Horrell
    WW 2 Connections

QUESTION: Hi Richard,

I want to thank you for answering all my questions on the above on my father's WWII record. I have one last question.

My father was sent to New Guinea in the Pacific Theatre Campaign on 6 April 1944 and arrived on 20 April 1944 somewhere in the Pacific.  He served in Hq & Hq Btry 214 AAA Gp. Bn. CAC AUS... as I understand it, that would be the antiaircrft artillery group and CAC stands for Costal Artillery Corps.

Now, I have found this group that originated from Georgia.  I am wondering since this group was broken up, if my father's unit would have been part of the new ones formed from it. I know this group was in Guadalcanal in 1943 before my father arrived in the Pacific 20 April 1944..

Here is what I found.

Is this the same unit. ?  .....    XIV Corps Headquarers; Service Command, Guadalcanal; Coast Artillery, 214th CA Regt ( redesignated 214th AAA GP, Hq, & Hq Btry. ) ?    One group  was from Georgia and was in Guadalcanal in 1943 before Frank M. Dillow arrived in the Pacific on 20 April 1944.  Questions still remain.  

This group was  broken up 11 November 1943 and its elements reorganized and redesignated as follows :

Headquarters and Headquarters Battery as Headquarters Battery ,

214th Antiaircraft Artillery Group;....  

1st Battalion as the 528th Antiartillery Gun Battalion; 2nd Battalion  as the 950th Antiaircraft Artillery Automatic Weapons Battalion; 3d Battalion as the 250th Antiaircraft ; Artillery Searchlight Battalion; Headquarters and Headquarters Battalion,

214th Antiaircraft Artillery Group, inactivated 19 June 1946 at Camp Stoneman, California.

Especially this 214th  Antiaircraft Artillery group .. could that have been my father's Hq & Hq Btry 214 AAA Gp. Bn. CAC AUS. ?

If not, I can put that to rest.

Marianne

Answer
Dear Ms. _?_?_,
       Thank you for your follow-up.  In it you typed "He served in Hq & Hq Btry 214 AAA Gp. Bn."  The unit your father was assigned [assigned] to was HQ & HQ Battery, 214th AAA Group.  No "Bn." (Battalion).
       In your follow-up you typed "I have found this group that originated from Georgia."  The "group" that you type of was NOT a "group" but a Regiment, the 214th Coast Artillery Regiment, Georgia National Guard.  A Battalion is a Battalion, a Group is a Group, a Regiment is a Regiment.  Each is their own, distinct type of Military Unit with its own T.O.& E. (Table of Organization & Equipment).
       In your follow-up you typed "if my father's unit would have been part of the new ones formed from it."  No, your father's was not a "part of the new ones" it was the new one.  
       Good Luck with your quest.

Respectfully,
   Richard V. Horrell
    WW 2 Connections  

Military History

Richard V. Horrell