Military History/My father - WW 2

Question
QUESTION: Dear Mr. Horrell.  I would like to know more about my father's military service as he did not speak much about it.  He was in the 63rd.Combat Engineers in Europe, France perhaps.  A cousin of mine says he was at the Battle of the Bulge but I nor my mother recall hearing him talk about it.  He was born in 1917 in Gary, IN. I will be happy to provide more information to you.  Thank you.

ANSWER: Dear Ms.,
       Thank you for your question.  Also, THANK YOU for referring to me as "Mr. Horrell."  Good manners NEVER go out-of-style.
       In your question you typed "He was in the 63rd.Combat Engineers".  I am familiar with the 63rd Engineer Combat Battalion, an organic elements of the 44th Infantry Division.  
       In your question you typed "A cousin of mine says he was at the Battle of the Bulge".  Since I have no FACTS at this time to research about your father's role in WW 2, it is impossible to comment whether or not your father fought in the "Battle of the Bulge".  However, I can confirm that the 63rd Engineer Combat Battalion, as well as the entire 44th Infantry Division, did participate in the Battle of the Bulge, fought during the coldest European Winter of the 20th Century!
       In your question you typed "I will be happy to provide more information to you."  My request of you is that you send me, via First Class U.S.P.S. a photocopy of your father's four page Discharge Documents (WD AGO Form 53-55).  Please be sure to include an e-mail address for ease of response.  It would be my pleasure to share with you all the FACTS I glean from the documents.
       Good Luck with your quest.

Respectfully,
   Richard V. Horrell
    WW 2 Connections
     2011 Richard Jones Road
      Apt.      E 26
       Nashville   TN   37215-2837

QUESTION: Dear Sir.  Thank you for the quick response.  Is there any other information that I can give you as the documents "WD AGO Form 53-55" that you request are not available. I'll be happy to send (confidentially)his name, birth date and SSN if that will help.  I'm afraid that any military documents have long since been lost. I know my dad was proud to serve in the army and as we are coming up to Memorial Day I feel it's a pity that I should not know more.

Kind regards,
Diane

Answer
Dear Ms.,
       Thank you for your follow-up.  Without a photocopy of your father's Discharge Documents (WD AGO Form 53-55) I have no FACTS to begin my research of his role in WW 2.  Over 16 million men & women served in the US Military during WW 2, so a name alone is of no use.  Personnel Files are listed with the Serial Number, so a SSN is of no use either.  
       When your father was discharged from the US Army he was provided with 6-10 copies of his Discharge Documents (WD AGO Form 53-55).  Not one of the 6-10 copies are available to you?
       In your initial contact you indicates that your father was assigned [assigned] to the 63rd Engineer Combat Battalion prior to May 8, 1945.  What is your source that your father was assigned [assigned] to the 63rd Engineer Combat Battalion prior to May 8, 1945?
       Good Luck with your quest.

Respectfully,
   Richard V. Horrell
    WW 2 Connections

Military History

Richard V. Horrell