Military History/Independent Research

Good Afternoon:

I am writing from Learning A-Z in Tucson, Arizona. We provide educational resources for K-6 classrooms. Our current focus is a book about D-Day, to be published this coming summer.

During our research we have found that the "D" in "D-Day" stands for the word "day" and that plus (+) and minus (-) signs are used to signify the days before or after a major battle or event. However, we are not clear on how to correctly say "D minus 1" or "D plus 1".

Our question is: when one is speaking about "D minus 1" do they say, "D-Day minus 1" or just "D minus 1". We greatly appreciate any information you might have about this military terminology, and thank you for your time.

Kyle Gutierrez
Audio Contractor
Learning A-Z

Good Day,
       Thank you so much for your question.  In it you typed "Our question is: when one is speaking about "D minus 1" do they say, "D-Day minus 1" or just "D minus 1"."  To be correct, "D minus 1".
       Good Luck with your quest.  I am sure that the Veterans of the Normandy, France landings on Tuesday, June 6, 1944 appreciate Learning A-Z remembering.

Richard V. Horrell
    WW 2 Connections
     2011 Richard Jones Road
      Apt.      E 26
       Nashville   TN   37215-2837

Military History

Richard V. Horrell

Can answer: World War Two. Specifically, the troop transport ships that took US Military Personnel overseas & returned them to the US, 1941-47. Also, unit history of US Army QM, Signal, MP, Ordnance, Medical, Transportation & Engineer units that served during WW 2. The more obscure units are my specialty. If you have the APO that a Veteran sent letters from or received letters at, I can look up the history of that APO.

A lifelong study of WW 2, including participation as a WW 2 Re-enactor, 1980-2002. Also, interviewing over 400 WW 2 Veterans about their role in WW 2.

AASLH, Middle Tennessee Genealogical Society

Over 800 Profiles that I have written for client's about their loved one's role in WW 2.

BA, History & Political Science (19th & 20th Century European History) Webster University, Webster Groves, MO.

Assisting the National Archives on numerous occasions during the 50th Anniversary Commemoration of WW 2, 1991-95.

Respectfully, I do not disclose the names of the clients I deal with. I have a confidentially agreement with them.