Military History/214th AAA Group

Question
Sorry Richard,

I was trying to rate you and lost it. This was our conversation.

QUESTION: Hi Richard,

I want to thank you for answering all my questions on the above on my father's WWII record. I have one last question.

My father was sent to New Guinea in the Pacific Theatre Campaign on 6 April 1944 and arrived on 20 April 1944 somewhere in the Pacific.  He served in Hq & Hq Btry 214 AAA Gp. Bn. CAC AUS... as I understand it, that would be the antiaircrft artillery group and CAC stands for Costal Artillery Corps.

Now, I have found this group that originated from Georgia.  I am wondering since this group was broken up, if my father's unit would have been part of the new ones formed from it. I know this group was in Guadalcanal in 1943 before my father arrived in the Pacific 20 April 1944..

Here is what I found.

Is this the same unit. ?  .....    XIV Corps Headquarers; Service Command, Guadalcanal; Coast Artillery, 214th CA Regt ( redesignated 214th AAA GP, Hq, & Hq Btry. ) ?    One group  was from Georgia and was in Guadalcanal in 1943 before Frank M. Dillow arrived in the Pacific on 20 April 1944.  Questions still remain.  

This group was  broken up 11 November 1943 and its elements reorganized and redesignated as follows :

Headquarters and Headquarters Battery as Headquarters Battery ,

214th Antiaircraft Artillery Group;....  

1st Battalion as the 528th Antiartillery Gun Battalion; 2nd Battalion  as the 950th Antiaircraft Artillery Automatic Weapons Battalion; 3d Battalion as the 250th Antiaircraft ; Artillery Searchlight Battalion; Headquarters and Headquarters Battalion,

214th Antiaircraft Artillery Group, inactivated 19 June 1946 at Camp Stoneman, California.

Especially this 214th  Antiaircraft Artillery group .. could that have been my father's Hq & Hq Btry 214 AAA Gp. Bn. CAC AUS. ?

If not, I can put that to rest.

Marianne

Answer:    Dear Ms. _?_?_,
      Thank you for your follow-up.  In it you typed "He served in Hq & Hq Btry 214 AAA Gp. Bn."  The unit your father was assigned [assigned] to was HQ & HQ Battery, 214th AAA Group.  No "Bn." (Battalion).

In your follow-up you typed "I have found this group that originated from Georgia."  The "group" that you type of was NOT a "group" but a Regiment, the 214th Coast Artillery Regiment, Georgia National Guard.  A Battalion is a Battalion, a Group is a Group, a Regiment is a Regiment.  Each is their own, distinct type of Military Unit with its own T.O.& E. (Table of Organization & Equipment).

In your follow-up you typed "if my father's unit would have been part of the new ones formed from it."  No, your father's was not a "part of the new ones" it was the new one.  
      Good Luck with your quest.

Respectfully,
  Richard V. Horrell
   WW 2 Connections

I can accept your answer but my father's Honorable Discharge is written this way. I am looking at it now.

At the top: Frank M. Dillow 36 056 134, Corporal Hq & Hq Btry aaa AW Bn.. that is the way they have it written.

Separation Center is Jefferson Barracks, Missouri 1 Jan 1946.

It is signed by Anson T. Leary  Major, AC

In Box 4 it has CAC. In box 5 it has AUS  In box 6 it has written Hq & Hq Btry 214 aaa Bn, ...  That is the way they have it written.

I don't understand.

Marianne

ANSWER: Dear Ms. _?_?_,
       Thank you for your follow-up.  In it you typed "I don't understand."  Please let me assure you, neither do I.
       In your follow-up you typed "my father's Honorable Discharge is written this way."  Respectfully, "written" or typed.
       In your follow-up you typed "Hq & Hq Btry aaa AW Bn".  Please acknowledge, no numerical designation.
       In your follow-up you typed "Hq & Hq Btry 214 aaa Bn".  During WW 2, the US Military DID activate a unit with the numerical designation 214th AAA Gun Battalion [Battalion].  However, the 214th AAA Gun Battalion is a nonsequitur to our research.  The 214th AAA Gun Battalion served in the E.T.O., NOT the P.T.O., so the discussion of the 214th AAA Gun Battalion continues to confuse the issue.
       IF "Hq & Hq Btry 214 aaa Bn" is "written" in Box #6 on page two of your father's Discharge Documents (WD AGO Form 53-55) then there is an error "written" upon the documents.  From my experience, if there is one error, then the entire content of the Discharge Document (WD AGO Form 53-55) must be called into question.  IF you wish for me to continue with my expertise, I suggest that you photocopy ALL Primary Source Documents in your possession, then send the photocopies to me via First Class USPS.  PLEASE include your e-mail address for my ease of response.  It will be my pleasure to share with you any FACTS I glean from the photocopies of the Primary Source Documents.
       Good Luck with your quest.

Respectfully,
   Richard V. Horrell
    WW 2 Connections
     2011 Richard Jones Road
      Apt      E 26
       Nashville   TN   37215-2837

QUESTION: Hi Richard,

It is handwritten on the Honorable Discharge record that I have.

It is Frank M. Dillow 36056134 Corporal Hq & Hq Btry aaa AW Bn.

In box 4  it is CAC, in  box  5 it is AUS, in Box 6 it is the same as I typed above.  In box 30 it hasTelephone Switchboard Opr 605.. that should be 650.

In box 32 it has New Guinea . I remember my father telling me he was in Morotai.

Also, on a declassified Antiaircraft Artillery Activities with Pacific War, Part 4 , that I just read,it says Hq 214th AAA group was part of Morotai.

On my dad's V-Mail it says from Frank M. Dillow , same serial number and Hq Btry 214th AAA Gp.

APO # 926  C/o P.M. San Francisco, Ca. It is xeroxed off by one of my family members. There is no date on that.

Thank you for being so patient with me.

Marianne

Answer
Dear Ms. _?_?_,
       Thank you for your two follow-ups of May 27, 2015, at 8:58pm & 10:14pm.  In the 8:58pm follow-up you typed "It is handwritten on the Honorable Discharge record that I have."  Certainly atypical, I have only three photocopies of WD AGO Form 53-55 that are in cursive.  
       In your follow-up of 8:58pm you typed "Frank M. Dillow 36056134 Corporal Hq & Hq Btry aaa AW Bn."  In your follow-up of 10:14pm you typed "Frank M. Dillow 36056134 Corporal Hq & Hq Btry 214 aaa AW Bn".  Somehow I see an inconsistency here.
       In your follow-up of 10:14 you typed "I am now assuming since he was in the New Guinea Campaign and one bronze campaign star was given per GO-33-40-1945 that was the only battle he was in."  No, the New Guinea Campaign was the only CAMPAIGN "he was in".  During the New Guinea Campaign (January 24, 1943-December 31, 1944) many, many BATTLES were fought.
       IF you wish for me to continue with my expertise, I suggest you photocopy ALL Primary Source Documents in your possession, then send the photocopies to me via First Class USPS.  PLEASE include your e-mail address for my ease of response.  It will be my pleasure to share with you any FACTS I glean from the photocopies of the Primary Source Documents.
       Good Luck with your quest.

Respectfully,
   Richard V. Horrell
    WW 2 Connections
     2011 Richard Jones Road
      Apt.      E 26
       Nashville   TN   37215-2837

Military History

Richard V. Horrell