Military History/WW 2 Discharge Paper

Question
Dear Mr. Horrell,

I've recently found my husbands grandfathers discharge paper from WWII. I'm trying to understand more about his involvement and experience. I only have this and not much else to go on. I'm having trouble finding information on some stuff and just overall understanding...

BOX
3. PFC
4. ARM or Service INF
6. CO K 158 INF
7. DATE OF SEPERATION 26 JAN 46
8. Place of SEPARATION SEPR CENT FT BLISS TX
MILITARY HISTORY PART
22. DATE OF INDUCTION 11 MAY 44
24. DATE OF ENTRY INTO ACTIVE SERV. 11 MAY 44
25. PLACE OF ENTRY FT BLISS TX
26. YES REGISTERED
27. LOCAL SS BOARD NO. 1
28. COUNTY AND STATE OTERO CO NEW MEXICO
30. MILITARY OCCUPATIONAL SPECIALTY AND NO. RIFLEMAN 795
31. MILITARY QUALIFICATION AND DATE CARBINE MM
32. BATTLES AND CAMPAIGNS: LUZON
33. American Theater-Good Conduct Medal Asiatic-Pacific Theater-Victory medal Philippine Liberation

Service outside of US
36. Date of Departure 7 June 45 SWPA date of arrival July 1 45
DEARTURE Unknown DESTINATION USA ARRIVAL 4 JAN 46
40. CONV OF GOVT 615-365  15 DEC 44 RR 1-1 DEMOB

LAPEL BUTTON ISSUED ASR SCORE 2 SEPT 45

Ok I've read up on Luzon but I cant find information on specifically Company K of the 158 INF..I've read some things about the 158 but I don't understand how it works with the different companies and all that. For instance whenever I read something about Luzon and the 158INF are they referring to him and his company? If so then I've also read about the 158 Bushmasters? Are they a different company? not related to Co K? I just don't understand.Is there anyway to really know what his Company K did exactly for those 6 months he was there? Also #30 and #31 What does rifleman 795 and carbine mm mean. Does it mean he was trained on a rifle? whats the 795. And carbine? does mm refer to something about the gun or does it stand for marksman?

Ok I guess that's all my questions i'm sorry if they are too broad. If there is anything else you can tell me about what you see from this paper or know about Luzon and the battlee that would be great and extremely helpful.

Thank you
Melissa

Answer
Dear Ms.,
       Thank you for your question.  Also, THANK YOU for referring to me as "Mr. Horrell".  Good manners NEVER go out-of-style.
       In your question you typed "my husbands grandfathers discharge paper from WWII."  It would be my pleasure to provide you with FACTS gleaned from page two of your grandfather-in-law's Discharge Documents (WD AGO Form 53-55).  Nothing pleases me more that to begin ACCURATE historic research with FACTS!

3. Private, First Class.  Pay was $54.00 per month.
4. Your grandfather-in-law was trained as an Infantryman.
6. Your grandfather-in-law was assigned [assigned] to Company K, Third Battalion, 158th Infantry Regiment, Arizona National Guard when he was discharged from the US Army January 26, 1946.
7. Your grandfather-in-law was honorably discharged from the US Army January 26, 1946.
8. Your grandfather-in-law was discharged from the US Army at Fort Bliss, Texas.
22. Your grandfather-in-law was inducted into the US Army May 11, 1944.  That was the day the paperwork was completed & he was sworn into the US Military.
24. Your grandfather-in-law's body became govenrmemnt property May 11, 1944.  He boarded a troop train to the location of his Basic Training.
25. Your grandfather-in-law entered the US Army at Fort Bliss, Texas.  It is only by chance that he entered the US Military & was discharged the US Military at the same location.
26.  Your grandfather-in-law was a Draftee.  Box #5 probably has the letters "AUS" typed in the box.  He did not volunteer.  Most men did NOT.
27. Local Selective Service Board No. 1.  The local Draft Board that decided whether or not you would be drafted.
28. The location of "Local SS Board No. 1".
30.  Your grandfather-in-law's M.O.S. (Military Occupational Specialty and Number) was Rifleman 795.  He was specifically trained to serve as an Infantryman.  The "795" was the numerical designation of what he was.
31. Your grandfather-in-law was a marksman with a M1 Carbine.
32.  Your grandfather-in-law participated in the Luzon Campaign (December 15, 1944-July 4, 1945) while serving in the Philippine Islands during WW 2.
33. American Theater Medal- service within the continental US during WW 2.
   Good Conduct Medal- your grandfather-in-law behaved while a soldier during WW 2.
   Asiatic-Pacific Theater Medal- for service in the theater of operation.  Your grandfather-in-law should have one Bronze Campaign Star upon the ribbon portion of the medal, for his role in the Luzon Campaign.
   WW 2 Victory Medal- for contributing to the Allied Victory during WW 2.
   Philippine Liberation Medal- for your grandfather-in-law's role in the liberation of The Philippines from the japanese.

Departure Date:   June 7, 1945
Departure Location:   San Francisco Port of Embarkation
Troop Ship:   USS Karnes  APA-175
Arrival Date:   July 1, 1945
Arrival Location:   Manila, Luzon, Philippine Islands
    via Eniwetok & Ulithi Atolls

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Departure Date:   December 5, 1945
Departure Location:   Manila, Luzon, Philippine Islands
Troop Ship:   SS Henry S. Foote
Arrival Date:   January 4, 1946
Arrival Location:   San Francisco Port of Embarkation

40. On December 15, 1944 the US Government determined the rules & regulations that your grandfather-in-law would be discharged from the US Army.  Sometime in late November 1945 your grandfather-in-law fullfilled his service to his country, so he was sent home & discharged.

Regrettably, you did not provide your grandfather-in-law's Adjusted Service Rating Score (Box #55) so I have nothing to contribute.
       In your question you typed "I don't understand how it works with the different companies".  There are 12 lettered Companies in an Infantry Regiment, A,B,C,D,E,F,G,H,I,K,L, & M.  No J, PLEASE do NOT ask why.  Company A,B,C & D are in the 1st Battalion.  Company E,F,G & H are in the 2nd Battalion.  Company I,K,L & M are in the 3rd Battalion.  So Company K was in the 3rd Battalion, 158th Infantry Regiment, Arizona National Guard.
       In your question you typed "I've also read about the 158 Bushmasters?"  "Bushmasters" is nothing more than a monicker, as when someone from Kansas is referred to as a Jayhawker.
       In your question you typed "Is there anyway to really know what his Company K did exactly for those 6 months he was there?"  Sure, read the unit histories that have been published:

Bushmasters, America's Junge Warriors of World War II
by Anthony Arthur
New York        St. Martin's Press        1987

Arizona's 158th Infantry Regiment: The Bushmasters 102-year Saga
by Orville A. Cochran
Phoenix, Arizona        Arizona Military Museum        1968

The Story of the Bushmasters
by Roy Lancaster
Detroit, Michigan        Lancaster Publishing        1945

A final few FACTS as per your grandfather-in-law.  He was an Infantry Replacement.  He replaced a member of the 158th who was either KIA, WIA or rotated back to the USA.  The 158th went overseas in January 1943.  Your grandfather-in-law arrived in Manila July 1, 1945, the Luzon Campaign ended July 4, 1945, so the odds are your grandfather-in-law did NOT see combat (LUCKY man).  He was training to participate in Operation OLYMPIC-CORONET, the invasion of the Japanese Home Islands.  The 158th Infantry Regiment was scheduled to make an amphibious assault upon Nakakoshiki Ura & Koshiki Retto, October 27, 1945.  President Truman's decision to utilize atomic bombs to bring japan to her knees saved your grandfather-in-law from that amphibious assault.  If someone was invading our great republic, hpw hard would you fight to defend our great nation?  How hard then do you thing the japanese were going to fight to defend their home islands?  Therefore, what were the odds your grandfather-in-law would have been a casualty?  THANK YOU, President Truman.
       Good Luck with your quest.

Respectfully,
   Richard V. Horrell
    WW 2 Connections  

Military History

Richard V. Horrell