Military History/WW 2 W.A.C. (Women's Army Corps)

Question
QUESTION: My mother joined the U.S. Army on September 1, 1943 & separated on August 30, 1945. I know she was stationed in London and Paris.

1. Her Army serial number: A 600 394. What does that mean?
2. Her organization: WAC Bn Hq Comd ETO. What exactly does that signify? A clerk in the Veteran's Administration said I could Google that to find out exactly where her unit served, etc. However, nothing came up.
3. She was listed as a TEC 4.  Is that a sargeant?
4. Among other medals & ribbons, she got a Bronze Battle Star.  Is that because she was immersed in battle in London or Paris?
5. What does Clerk General 055 mean?

Thanks so much for any info you can pass my way!

ANSWER: Dear Ms.,
       Thank you for your question.  In it you typed "My mother joined".  With all due respect, your mother enlisted.
       In your question you typed "Her Army serial number: A  600  394.  What does that mean?"  The "A" indicates a female enlisted person, as opposed to an "L" for a female officer.  The "600" indicates your mother enlisted in the 6th Service Command Area.  HQ in Chicago, Illinois, the 6th Service Command Area was responsible for Illinois, Michigan & Wisconsin.  The "394" indicated that your mother was the 394 female to enlist in the W.A.C. in the 6th Service Command Area.
       In your question you typed "Her organization:  WAC Bn Hq Comd ETO.  What exactly does that signify?"  It signifies Women's Army Corps Battalion Headquarters Command, European Theater of Operation.  
       In your question you typed "A clerk in the Veteran's Administration said I could Google that to find out exactly where her unit served, etc.  However, nothing came up."  Long ago, my father taught me, if you have nothing good to say about someone, say nothing.  So, I am saying (actually, typing) nothing about the "Clerk in the Veteran's Administration".
       In your question you typed "She was listed as a TEC 4.  Is that a sargeant?"  No, it is a sergeant, with the letter "T" beneath the chevron.  Pay was $78.00 per month.
       In your question you typed "Among other medals & ribbons, she got a Bronze Battle Star."  Would you be so kind as to share with me the PRINTED Primary Source that your mother was awarded a "Bronze Battle Star?
       In your question you typed "Is that because she was immersed in battle in London or Paris?"  No!
       In your question you typed "What does Clerk General 055 mean?"  From TM12-427, Military Occupational Classification of Enlisted Personnel, War Department, 12 July 1944:

Clerk, General (055)   Performs a variety of clerical tasks in connection with the operation of a military unit.  Compiles and files reports and statistics.  Tabulates and posts data in record books.  Takes telephone messages and gives information to callers.  Checks calculations and makes simple book keeping entries.  Sorts and distributes mail.  Duplicates orders, memoranda and bulletins using mimeograph and ditto machines.  Must be familiar with military office procedure and must understand military correspondence and filing.  (See Clerk-Typist 405 for jobs requiring typing.)

In your question you typed "Thanks so much for any info you can pass my way!  You are welcome for the FACTS I passed your way!
       My only regret is that you did not provide me with ALL THE DATES typed in Box #36 on page two of your mother's Discharge Documents (WD AGO Form 53-55).  It would have been interesting to learn the name of the troop ship that transported your mother overseas, then returned her to the U.S.A.
       Good Luck with your quest.

Respectfully,
   Richard V. Horrell
    WW 2 Connections  

MOB Discharge Papers
MOB Discharge Papers  
QUESTION: 1. Here's the info in Box 36. Would be great to know which ship she traveled on!

Departure: 21 March, 1944 Destination: ETO  
         26 August, 1945 Destination: USA

Arrival: 28 March, 1944
        27 August, 1945

2. Will try to attach a copy of her discharge papers to give you info about her Bronze battle Star itemized in Box 23.  She talked about bombs (I believe she called them buzz bombs) dropping over London early in the morning hours and having to depart the building where she slept. Is that why she was awarded that medal?

3. Any more info you can give me after viewing her discharge papers would be much appreciated.  She died on April 27, had been very active in the American Legion & VFW and was bestowed military honors at her funeral. She was a proud American and I am proud of of her service.

Thank you for your valuable facts & knowledge!

Answer
Dear Ms.,
       Thank you for your follow-up.  As to the troop ship that transported your mother overseas:

Departure Date:   March 21, 1944
Departure Location:   New York Port of Embarkation
Troop Ship:   RMS Queen Mary
Arrival Date:   March 27, 1944
Arrival Location:   Gourock, Scotland
    11,895 Troops onboard

As you can read by the dates your mother reurned to the USA, she flew home.  Certainly atypical!

You were successfull in attaching your mother's Discharge Documents (MOB ???) but they pixelized terribly.  Sorry, can't provide FACTS for what I cannot read.
       Good Luck with your quest.

Respectfully,
   Richard V. Horrell
    WW 2 Connections

Military History

Richard V. Horrell