Military History/168th Engineer Combat Battalion

Timothy Robert Sullivan
Timothy Robert Sulliva  

Private Timothy Robert Sullivan
Private Timothy Robert  
Hello Mr. Horrell,
I have a few questions regarding the 168th engineering combat battalion.  My  Uncle Timothy Robert Sullivan is thought to have died crossing the Rhine at St. Goar.  I am looking for verification of this fact, and any other information you may find regarding my uncle.
My uncle was born in Fall River Mass, He was in company C, and his number was :31362188.

I am curious about the history of the battalion, and what role they played at the battle of the bulge.
I have read that part of this unit was there, connected with other units.  It could be that Uncle Timmy was being trained elsewhere, and didn't see combat in this area.  
Also, are there any photographs of this unit anywhere??  
I have attached an image of my uncle with this e mail.
Thank-you for any information you may have,
Kind regards,
Veronica Scontras (Shea)

Dear Ms.,
       Thank you for your question.  In it you typed "thought to have died crossing the Rhine at St. Goar.  I am looking for verification of that fact".  First, I suggest you obtain your uncle's I.D.P.F. (Individual Deceased Personnel File).  Send your letter-of-request to the following address:

Department of the Army
US Army Human Resources Command
  1600 Spearhead Division Avenue Department 107
   Fort Knox   KY   40122-5504

Please include the following FACTS about your uncle:

Serial Number (NOT Social Security Number)

Entered Service From (County & State)

Date KIA

As to the 168th role in "crossing the Rhine at St. Goar" (I own a copy):

United States Army in World War II
The Technical Services
 The Corps of Engineers: The War Against Germany
  by Beck, Bortz, Lynch, Mayo & Weld

one of the volumes of the Army "Green Series".

In your question you typed "I am curious about the history of the battalion".  A gentleman in Saco, Maine published some stories about the unit (I own a copy):

Hinder Forward
by Dean F. Jewett
ISBN   0-89725-448-1

In your question you typed "what role they played at the battle of the bulge [sic]."  I suggest you read (I own a copy):

Engineering The Victory
The Battle of the Bulge
by Colonel David Pergren
Atglen, PA        Schiffer Publishing, Ltd.        1996

In your question you typed "I have read that part of this unit was there, connected with other units."  No, the entire 168th Engineer Combat Battalion fought at the Battle of the Bulge.  Yes, the Letter Companies (Organic Elements) of the 168th were attached [attached] to other units fighting in the Battle of the Bulge.  This was Standard Operating Procedure for an Engineer Combat Battalion during WW 2, nothing atypical as per the Battle of the Bulge.
       In your question you typed "are there any photographs of this unit anywhere??"  YES!  In the books I have cited, in the unit histories of the units the 168th was attached [attached] to, & the National Archives.  The 168th Engineer Combat Battalion was one of THE premier Engineer Combat Battalions in the E.T.O., 1944-45!  There is probably at least one photograph of the 168th for each day, July 24, 1944-May 8, 1945.
       Good Luck with your quest.

Richard V. Horrell
    WW 2 Connections

Military History

Richard V. Horrell

Can answer: World War Two. Specifically, the troop transport ships that took US Military Personnel overseas & returned them to the US, 1941-47. Also, unit history of US Army QM, Signal, MP, Ordnance, Medical, Transportation & Engineer units that served during WW 2. The more obscure units are my specialty. If you have the APO that a Veteran sent letters from or received letters at, I can look up the history of that APO.

A lifelong study of WW 2, including participation as a WW 2 Re-enactor, 1980-2002. Also, interviewing over 400 WW 2 Veterans about their role in WW 2.

AASLH, Middle Tennessee Genealogical Society

Over 800 Profiles that I have written for client's about their loved one's role in WW 2.

BA, History & Political Science (19th & 20th Century European History) Webster University, Webster Groves, MO.

Assisting the National Archives on numerous occasions during the 50th Anniversary Commemoration of WW 2, 1991-95.

Respectfully, I do not disclose the names of the clients I deal with. I have a confidentially agreement with them.