Military History/19TH Replacement Depot

Hello Sir
During at least part of his service time during WW2 my father served with the 19th Replacement Depot.  I noticed in another post you were able to trace the locations of a similar group.  If you could do the same for this unit it would be helpful.  Were replacement depot's attached to Divisions?  If so that would also be interesting to know.  His papers also mention the 6873rd resident staff detachment - I am not sure what that is.   I have some of his separation papers but unfortunately the rest of his records were lost in the St Louis fire.  I wished I had asked him more about this when he was alive but he never talked about it.  Thanks

Dear Sir,
       Thank you for your question.  In it you typed "served with".  Would you be so kind as to be a bit more specific?  Was your father assigned [assigned], attached [attached] or waiting at the 19th Replacement Depot to be assigned [assigned] or attached [attached] to a particular unit?
       In your question you typed "19th Replacement Depot."  Sometime after August 21, 1944 the 19th Replacement Depot was located at Etampes, France, where it served as a "receiving station for hospital returnees or casuals".  

Normandy          June 6-July 24, 1944
Northern France   July 25-September 14, 1944 (HQ & HQ Company only)

In your question you typed "Were replacement depot's attached to Divisions?"  No.
       In your question you typed "His papers".  Would you be so kind as to be a bit more specific?  Are you referring to your father's four page Discharge Documents (WD AGO Form 53-55)?  Some other Primary Source Documents?  You are welcome to make photocopies of said documents, then send the photocopies to me via First Class U.S.P.S.  Please be sure to include your e-mail address for ease of response.  It would be my pleasure to share with you any FACTS I glean from said documents.
       In your question you typed "6873rd resident staff detachment".  Respectfully, I could find no unit with that numerical designation activated by the US Army prior to September 2, 1945.  
       Good Luck with your quest.  I will eagerly await a packet from you via First Class U.S.P.S. at your earliest convenience.

Richard V. Horrell
    WW 2 Connections
     2011 Richard Jones Road
      Apt.      E 26
       Nashville   TN   37215-2837  

Military History

Richard V. Horrell

Can answer: World War Two. Specifically, the troop transport ships that took US Military Personnel overseas & returned them to the US, 1941-47. Also, unit history of US Army QM, Signal, MP, Ordnance, Medical, Transportation & Engineer units that served during WW 2. The more obscure units are my specialty. If you have the APO that a Veteran sent letters from or received letters at, I can look up the history of that APO.

A lifelong study of WW 2, including participation as a WW 2 Re-enactor, 1980-2002. Also, interviewing over 400 WW 2 Veterans about their role in WW 2.

AASLH, Middle Tennessee Genealogical Society

Over 800 Profiles that I have written for client's about their loved one's role in WW 2.

BA, History & Political Science (19th & 20th Century European History) Webster University, Webster Groves, MO.

Assisting the National Archives on numerous occasions during the 50th Anniversary Commemoration of WW 2, 1991-95.

Respectfully, I do not disclose the names of the clients I deal with. I have a confidentially agreement with them.