Military History/Port Company

Question
QUESTION: My father was in the 206th Port Company on Okinawa as part of the 77th div. I would like to find out what Battalion, or Regiment his Port Company was part of. There were nine wounded when their ship was hit by a torpedo (USS Anne Rundel.  He was one of them(I saw the scars) but there are no records. There is no info on the internet because the few sites pertaining to this unit are no longer working. Will appreciate any help.

Gerry

ANSWER: Good Day,
       Thank you for your question.  In it you typed "206th Port Company on Okinawa as part of the 77th div."  After referring to the unit history of the 77th Infantry Division as well as an Order of Battle of US Tenth Army for the period March 26-July 2, 1945, I could find no record of the "206th Port Company" being a "part of the 77th div."  Would you be so kind as to share with me the Primary Source Document(s) that indicate your father was assigned [assigned] to the 206th Port Company, as well as the Primary Source Document(s) that the 206th Port Company was attached [attached] to the 77th Infantry Division, March 26-July 2, 1945?
       In your question you typed "There were nine wounded when their ship was hit by a torpedo (USS Anne Rundel."  The USS Anne Arundel  AP-76 was anchored off Hagushi Beach, Okinawa, May 3-8, 1945.  At no time was the troop ship "hit by a torpedo".  This FACT as per the Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships.
       In your question you typed "but there are no records."  With all due respect, if that were the case, how was I able to provide you with the FACTS I just typed?
       In your question you typed "There is no info on the internet".  Correct, but there are FACTS in books, available at your local Public Library.
       Good Luck with your quest.

Respectfully,
   Richard V. Horrell
    WW 2 Connections
     2011 Richard Jones Road
      Apt      E 26
       Nashville   TN   37215-2837

QUESTION: Mr. Horrell, thank you for responding to my question so quickly. In the order your questions to me appear here is what I have found.  

I researched everything WWII I have from my father.  His DD214, pay book, Army Motor Vehicle Operator's Permit APO 960, and Honorable Discharge Certificate all state he was a member of 206th Port Comp. Also the nickname "Fighting Longshoremen" and title Longshoreman 271 on his Separation Qualification Record are in his records. He also had 77th Division and Port Company patches. We are from the Bronx and the 77th Division was a largely NY Division. I also have his diary.

There is no mention of 77th Division in any of his records, which I never noticed because he always said that was his Division. I have searched until my head exploded trying to find a connection with no success.  Since he passed away in 1999 I have nobody to ask. However I did connect with the son of another late member of the 206th Port Comp and he also mentioned the 77th Division.

His diary states the USS Anne Arundel was torpedoed July 27 1945. I also cannot find info on this, or a record of anyone being wounded.  If the Anne Arundel was a troop ship then perhaps the 206th was working on another ship at the time of this incident. I don't know where to search for this info. I did not mean there are "NO Records".  I apologize for being so vague. I do not have your research experience. I'm merely trying to find out what Army, Division, and Regiment he was a part of. If it would help, one man, Anthony Zummo, was killed.  

Hope this info helps.

Thanks for your time.

Gerry

ANSWER: Good Day,
       Thank you for your follow-up.  Also, THANK YOU for referring to me as "Mr. Horrell".  Good manners NEVER go out of style.
       In your follow-up you typed "DD214".  Would you be so kind as to inform me where on your father's "DD214" the term "DD214" is typed?  Also, does the term "WD AGO Form 53-55" appear anywhere upon the "DD214"?
       In your follow-up you typed "APO 960".  APO 960 was located at Mountain View, Hawaiian Islands, April 1944 through May 1945.  Then located at Hilo, Hawaiian Islands, June 1945 until late February 1946.
       In your follow-up you typed "Fighting Longshoremen".  Would you be so kind as to photocopy the Primary Source Document that has "Fighting Longshoremen" typed upon it, then send the photocopy to me via First Class USPS?  Please include your e-mail address for ease of my response.
       In your follow-up you typed "Port Company patches."  Would you be so kind as to photocopy the "Port Company patches" then send the photocopies to me via First Class USPS?
       In your follow-up you typed "There is no mention of the 77th Division in any of his records".  I acknowledge what you have typed.
       In your follow-up you typed "His diary states the USS Anne Arundel was torpedoed July 27, 1945."  From July 9, 1945 to August 8, 1945, the USS Anne Arundel  AP-76 was anchored in a proximity to Leyte Island, Philippine Islands.  During that period of time, the USS Anne Arundel  AP-76 was not "torpedoed" nor was it anywhere near "Okinawa".  
       In your follow-up you typed "one man, Anthony Zummo, was killed."  Would you be so kind as to provide me with the unit "Anthony Zummo" was assigned [assigned] to when he "was killed"?  Also, was he KIA (Killed in Action) DOW (Died of Wounds) or died as a result of performing his duties while not in combat?
       Good Luck with your quest.

Respectfully,
   Richard V. Horrell
    WW 2 Connections
     2011 Richard Jones Road
      Nashville   TN   37215-2837

QUESTION: Mr. Horrell, once again thanks for the quick follow up. I looked at my fathers discharge paper and it does not have DD214 typed on the form.  It does have titled Enlisted Record and Report of Separation - Honorable Discharge. It does have in the lower left hand corner WD AGO Form 53-55.

The "Fighting Longshoreman" was on a Genealogy website hosted by someone named Ol Uncle Bob. He was answering questions from relatives of 206th members. He had a few answers.  I tried contacting the relatives but no success. I checked their last names and they all (five) appeared in the company roster picture. Unfortunately I can't find the printout.from Bob. However the official Company picture is titled "206th Port Company -The Fighting Longshoremen".

The patches are the blue background, gold Statue of Liberty (77th Div), arched shaped blue background gold eagle holding a Tommie gun and anchor which might be for Engineers (Brigade patch), a round red , white and blue star in center patch which said it was for Staff Support and the Army Meritorious Award (gold wreath brown patch). These were on his IKE jacket.

I reread his diary and it did say they were torpedoed on July 27.  It appears he was not talking about the Anne Arundel which you stated.  I guess it would help to know where they were on Okinawa.  He mentioned NaHa many times.  What's important is I found today, by total accident, a book for sale on Amazon written in 2011 by a William H. Dobbs.  It is about the 206th Port Company of which he was a member. He is also in the Company picture. His book is called "War Journey: Witness to the last campaign of WWII". I'm going to order it. He mentions the 206th was part of the 1st Engineer Special Amphibious Brigade. This might link them to the 77th Div.

The man who died was Frank J. Zinno.  I had his name wrong.  There is no mention of how he died. It says July 15 Zinno was killed, July 16 he was buried at 2:30. He also was a member of the 206th. They went to Korea and moved into Tokyo Electric in Jinsen Sept 14.

I'll be glad to make copies of everything you requested and mail them to you.  I hope some of todays' new info will help.  Sorry for the inaccuracies. I just assumed his info was correct and never thought twice my father wasn't totally accurate.

Thanks for your time.  Your follow ups have really helped to improve my research efforts. Have a great day.

Gerry

Answer
Good Day,
       Thank you for your follow-up.  In it you typed "I looked at my.......typed on the form."  The term DD-214 is for the personnel of the US Military that served post-WW 2.
       In your follow-up you typed "The "Fighting Longshoreman" was on a Genealogy website hosted by someone named Ol Uncle Bob."  In your follow-up of June 27, 2015 you typed "Also the nickname "Fighting Longshoreman" and title Longshoreman 271 on his Separation Qualification Record are in his records."  So is the term "Fighting Longshoreman" from a website OR from your father's separation qualification records???
       In your follow-up you typed "arched shaped blue background gold eagle holding a Tommie gun and anchor which might be for Engineers".  No, it IS for Engineer Amphibian Units.  It is NOT "Port Company patches".
       In your follow-up you typed "a round red ,white and blue star in center patch which said it was for Staff Support".  No, it IS for the Army Service Forces, the logistical support entitry of the US Army during WW 2.
       In your follow-up you typed "the Anne Arundel which you stated".  NO, the "USS Anne Rundel" (USS Anne Arundel  AP-76) as YOU typed on June 24, 2015.  I researched the ship YOU specified.
       In your follow-up you typed "I guess it would help to know where they were on Okinawa."  I acknowlege what you have typed.
       In your follow-up you typed "He mentioned NaHa many times."  NaHa was an urban community on the southwest coast of Okinawa, on the East China Sea.  NaHa was captured June 6, 1945.
       In your follow-up you typed "1st Engineer Special Amphibious Brigade."  The unit was designated "1st Engineer Special Brigade" May 14, 1943.
       In your follow-up you typed "The man who died was Frank J. Zinno.  I had the name wrong."  I acknowledge what you have typed.
       In your follow-up you typed "I'll be glad to make copies of everything you requested and mail them to you."  NO, thank you!
       In your follow-up you typed "Sorry for the inaccuracies.  I just assumed his info was correct and never thought twice my father wasn't totally accurate."  Soldiers were generally QUITE busy defending our republic, thus the final victory by the Allied Forces during WW 2.  Your father's diary is certainly a pleasant read for information about his time during WW 2.  BUT, if you wish to obtain FACTS about your father's role in WW 2, then I suggest you rely upon FACTS from published sources & NOT the internet!
       I noticed you had no comment as per the location of APO 960.
       Good Luck with your quest.

Richard V. Horrell
   WW 2 Connections  

Military History

Richard V. Horrell