Military History/WW 2 Military Service

Question
QUESTION: My dad, Raymond Farro was on the troopship SS Zoella Lykes in December 1943 with the destination of Brisbane, Australia.  I know he was inducted into the SeaBees in July of 1943 and was stationed in Papua, New Guinea.  I have somewhat narrowed down his battalion but am looking for more information.  The only return address I have is 1050 C.B.D c/o FPO San Francisco, CA.  I appreciate your time.  Thank you.

ANSWER: Dear Ms.,
       Thank you for your question.  In it you typed "troopship SS Zoella Lykes in December 1943 with the destination of Brisbane, Australia."

Departure Date:   December 10, 1943
Departure Location:  New York Port of Embarkation
Troop Ship:   SS Zoella Lykes
Arrival Date:   January 22, 1944
Arrival Location:   Brisbane, Australia
    via the Panama Canal December 26, 1943

I envy your father, to see the Panama Canal as he did!
       In your question you typed "stationed in Papua, New Guinea."  Your source for that location, please?
       In your question you typed "I have somewhat narrowed down his battalion".  So the purpose of your question is to determine the SeaBee Unit(s) your father was assigned [assigned] to during WW 2.  May I suggest you obtain his Personnel File?  The address you send your letter-of-request to is:

National Personnel Records Center
1 Archives Drive
 St. Louis   MO   63138

In your question you typed "The only return address I have is 1050 C.B.D c/o FPO San Francisco, CA."  The unit is question is the 1050th C.B. Spare Parts Detachment.

April 3, 1944 - commissioned at Camp Peary

April 7, 1944 - arrived at Port Hueneme

June 4, 1944 - departed Port Hueneme

July 8, 1944 - arrived at Manus Island

November 16, 1945 - 1050th C.B. Spare Parts Detachment was decommissioned

Since the FACTS of the 1050th & the information about your father's voyage overseas do not quite match, I would typed that obtaining your father's Personnel File is imperative.  
       Good luck with your quest.

Respectfully,
   Richard V. Horrell
    WW 2 Connections

QUESTION: I hope you received my Thank you letter.  I was very excited to get this information.

I think I may have confused the issue by typing that my dad was stationed in Papua.  I had no reason to think that except I thought he was on the part of the island closer to Australia. Seeing that he was on Manus Island makes sense as it is a part of Papua.  

My dad had a "yearbook" that I gave to a cousin when my dad passed away.  Of course this book has every detail of his unit.  I did look into the possibility of obtaining his personnel file but at this time cannot afford the fee associated with that.

You typed that the facts of the 1050th and the voyage don't match has confused me.  I have a certificate of his presence on the Zoella in December of 1943.  It shows that the Zoella passed the international date line on 12/29/43.

Is this information more helpful and is it possible that between the time he sent me the letter from the FPO in San Fransisco and the time he shipped out, he was transferred to another unit?  

Thank you for your time.

Toni Farro McLaughlin

Answer
Dear Ms.,
       Thank you for your follow-up.  In it you typed "I hope you received my Thank you letter."  No, I have not, but Thank You for your sentiment.
       In your follow-up you typed "My dad had a "yearbook" that I gave to a cousin when my father passed away.  Of course this book has every detail of his unit."  So at one point in time you had a printed source that provided you with every FACT about your father's role in WW 2, INCLUDING the unit he was assigned [assigned] to while overseas?  What is the numerical designation of the unit that this "yearbook" is about?
       In your follow-up you typed "You typed that the facts of the 1050th and the voyage don't match has confused me."  In December 1943 your father was on a troop ship in the Pacific Ocean.  The 1050th C.B. Spare Parts Detachment was not commissioned until April 3, 1944.  Therefore, your father was not assigned [assigned] to the 1050th when he went overseas.  The 1050th did not depart the USA until June 1944.  
       In your follow-up you typed "I have a certificate of his presence.......date line on 12/29/1943."  Yes, his "presence" at a specific location on a troop ship in the Pacific Ocean.  The "certificate" does NOT indicate the unit he was assigned [assigned] to.  Only the "yearbook" that your cousin has indicates "his unit" (your father's).
       In your follow-up you typed "Is this information more helpful".  No, since all the FACTS & information are clear to me.  You have your father, along with a certificate indicating a specific geographic location.  You have your father & a return address for a unit that at some point your father was assigned [assigned] to.  You have your father & a "yearbook" of all the FACTS you require, but no longer have access to the "yearbook".  Is that accurate?
       Good Luck with your quest.

Respectfully,
   Richard V. Horrell
    WW 2 Connections

Military History

Richard V. Horrell