Military History/WW1 (Avia) 75mm BH17 1925 stamped on headstamp copper casing with pilot scratched by hand on bottom

Question
WW1 casing
WW1 casing  
I have a casing that I have spent most of a day collecting pieces of information on. It's a WW1 copper casing apparently made in France for the 75mm FG for fighter trainers for Avia. 3 tester planes we're dr and then later improved. The plane is Czech, gun and ammo is French, pilot appears to be English (Douglas Lloyd Amlot) with much training from REF and eventually highly ranked in the Army and Air Force. I found his family tree as well. His last name is etched on the headstamp with the other info that was stamped and also hand etched. It reads as: BH 1925 17, 7105 BH (G or C) O, Amlot is hand etched to be clear, 75mm stamped, on the casing it's hand embossed from inside and on the outside. It has a single stemmed rose with 2 sets of leaves hand embossed as well as scalloped along the center all the way around met by rough small random slits in the background that look like they were made by a knife's tip, it has hand embossed AEF vertically with 19 on one side of AEF then 18 going horizontally. All of the embossing was outlined by hand kind of poorly. Around the rim it has a circular pattern that appears to be made by a nailhead. The bottom is pinched into 4 sections of vertical indentions. The casing has circles either shot or drilled that are larger than erasers but in a couple different sizes. It's the only one of it's kind I can find with AEF on it. It has no dove on it as others have been described by a French artist from the 1950's. This looks entirely too amateur to be done by an artist labeled goggle worthy. I think I have done my research well by finding out it's history through WW1 training of 3 fighters listed for make 1924, used 1925. So to be clear on bottom of this piece which is called the headstamp I see, it makes me think action was recorded there for 1925. But the insignia on the front of this piece says 1918 when I believe the gun and ammo was manufactured in France, placed in the fighter plane made in Czech Republic, to an English pilot to be tested at a drawn square area in California. Please let me know if my research is correct and more importantly I would like to find the value. Thanks in advance for your expertise. I did see where you answered on a casing similar.
Nicole

Answer
Nicole:

The last part of your message confuses me.

I think I have done my research well by finding out it's history through WW1 training of 3 fighters listed for make 1924, used 1925. So to be clear on bottom of this piece which is called the headstamp I see, it makes me think action was recorded there for 1925. But the insignia on the front of this piece says 1918 when I believe the gun and ammo was manufactured in France, placed in the fighter plane made in Czech Republic, to an English pilot to be tested at a drawn square area in California. Please let me know if my research is correct and more importantly I would like to find the value. Thanks in advance for your expertise. I did see where you answered on a casing similar.
Nicole

"It's history through WWI training of 3 fighters listed for make 1924, used 1925."     Are you saying that you believe the three pilots were trained in WWI and that the casing was used in 1924-1925?

"to an English pilot to be tested at a drawn square area in California."   Not sure what this means.

The head stamp date does indeed mean the casing was manufactured in 1918.   This does not mean the gun was manufactured then.  Guns and ammunition were generally manufactured by different companies.

The date on the front was to commemorate someone's service in the last year of the war.  The pilot may have indeed gone on to serve somewhere else, but the decorated casing was a memento  to mark someone's service.

Since there were a lot of empty casings lying around after the war, many were used by artisans to make object's d art.   The AEF was not involved in Europe much past 1919.  Several regiments were sent to Siberia, but I do not know if any were involved in the creation of the Czech Republic.  They very well could have been since Pres. Wilson was keen on the formation of the new Republic.  I could not find any detailed information on the deployment of any US troops to the republic, but there very well might have been.

So are you saying that you think that three soldiers were trained by the AEF and may have even gone to California for training?

The value is totally dependent on the collector.  I would think it is probably worth no more than several hundred dollars American.

Military History

Keith H. Patton