Military History/279th QM Refrigeration Company (Mobile)

Can you tell me where this unit was located after May 1, 1946? I have a lot of history on this unit up to that date. My dad was assigned to this unit in May 1946 and was apparently in the 1st & 3rd Platoons. I was born in Mannheim, Germany in 1947, my mom lived in Ilvesheim and they were married in Mannheim in Jun 1948. I'm trying to figure out if maybe he was in a detachment in Mannheim.  Can you help me?  Thank you in advance.

Dear Sir,
       Thank you for your question.  In it you typed "Can you tell me where this unit was located after May 1, 1946?"  No, I cannot.  My sources for FACTS about locations of units in the ETO begins to dwindle Fall 1945.  My suggestion is to send a letter-of-request to:

US Army Heritage & Education Center
950 Soldiers Road
 Carlisle   PA   17013

My experience with the EXCELLENT staff at the center is that the more specific your request is, the better the results.
       Good Luck with your quest.

Richard V. Horrell
    WW 2 Connections  

Military History

Richard V. Horrell

Can answer: World War Two. Specifically, the troop transport ships that took US Military Personnel overseas & returned them to the US, 1941-47. Also, unit history of US Army QM, Signal, MP, Ordnance, Medical, Transportation & Engineer units that served during WW 2. The more obscure units are my specialty. If you have the APO that a Veteran sent letters from or received letters at, I can look up the history of that APO.

A lifelong study of WW 2, including participation as a WW 2 Re-enactor, 1980-2002. Also, interviewing over 400 WW 2 Veterans about their role in WW 2.

AASLH, Middle Tennessee Genealogical Society

Over 800 Profiles that I have written for client's about their loved one's role in WW 2.

BA, History & Political Science (19th & 20th Century European History) Webster University, Webster Groves, MO.

Assisting the National Archives on numerous occasions during the 50th Anniversary Commemoration of WW 2, 1991-95.

Respectfully, I do not disclose the names of the clients I deal with. I have a confidentially agreement with them.