Military History/3398th Quartermaster Truck Company, TC

Question
Good morning,

My name is Yves CORVER. I am a French novelist. The subject of my 3rd novel is the involvement of Afro American soldiers in the 3398th QTC during WWII between end of 1943 and july 1944 in Normandy France.
I am looking for details about the journey of this unit in the UK.
In which cities they stayed ? Where the soldiers were staging ? What kind of training exercises they were doing ?
How were segregation rules applied between Whites and Blacks.
My intention is not to judge, but to write about the living conditions awa the feelings of the young Afro Americans who decided to cross the Ocean in order to fight for our freedom and put their own lives at stake.
Even if my project is to write a novel, with fictive characters, I want however to stick to the real life of these soldiers at that time.
Thank you in advance for yr help.
With respect.
Yves CORVER

Answer
Dear Mr. Corver,
       Thank you for your question.  In it you typed "between end of 1943 and july 1944 in Normandy France."  Unfortunately, I can provide you with very few FACTS as per the 3398th QM Truck Company, TC during the period of time you desire.  The 3398th participated in five Campaigns in the ETO, 1944-45:

Normandy          June 6-July 24, 1944
Northern France   July 25-September 14, 1944
Rhineland         September 15, 1944-March 21, 1945
Ardennes-Alsace   December 16, 1944-January 15, 1945
Central Europe    March 22-May 8, 1945

as well as the Army of Occupation in Germany, May 2-June 3, 1945.  The unit records for the 3398th are archived at:

US Army Heritage & Education Center
950 Soldiers Road
 Carlisle   PA   17013
   USA

In your question you typed "I am looking for details about the journey of this unit in the UK."  Sorry, I have no FACTS to share with you.
       In your question you typed "In which cities they stayed ? Where the soldiers were staging ? What kind of training exercises they were doing ?"  Sorry, I have no FACTS to share with you.
       In your question you typed "How were segregation rules applied between Whites and Blacks."  May I suggest you read the following books:

The Road To Victory
by David P. Colley
Washington, DC        Brassey's        2000
    ISBN 1-57488-173-6

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

The following are all a part of the United States Army in World War II series (also known as the Army Green Series, for the colour of the hard covers of the volumes):

The European Theater of Operations
Logistical Support of the Armies
 In Two Volumes - Volume I: May 1941-September 1944
by Roland G. Ruppenthal

+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +

The Technical Services
The Transportation Corps:
 Operations Overseas
by Joseph Bykofsky & Harold Larson

Special Studies
The Employment of Negro Troops
by Ulysses Lee

In your question you typed "Even if my project is to.......these soldiers at that time."  I am familiar with the concept of Historic Fiction, an ideal format (in my opinion) for the topic you wish to write about.  My only regret is that I have provided you with so few FACTS as per the "Historic" portion of the novel.  
       Good Luck with your quest.

Respectfully,
   Richard V. Horrell
    WW 2 Connections

Military History

Richard V. Horrell