Military History/German uniform identification

Question
Oskar Sammet
Oskar Sammet  
Hi

My wife has just obtained a photo of her mother's brother that was taken in WW2. I am putting together the family tree and want to include a picture and a small amount of detail about my wife's uncle.

I was told that he was in a panzer unit and killed on the last day of the war. My research indicates that he was infantry but I am not sure. Also I am trying to identify his rank.

Any assistance that you can provide would be greatly asppreciated

Answer
I have to ask the help of my good friend Lt, Colonel S. Bojerud who is an expert of uniforms. I will send him the picture and your question. As soon as he answers I will come back to you.

You can also reach me at: http://www.liveperson.com/professional/expert-profile.aspx?gsBMQvSJ0S4K1haAm6AtH
There is no limit to the number of questions there. Please note: NEW SITE!

Donations are also always welcome! No amount is too small, no amount is too big!
The language problem I have had with the payment site has been solved!

Colonel Bojerud has replied. The uniform is not an armour corps uniform (Panzertruppen). It may well be an infantry uniform. Since the picture is in black and white and the Germans used colour codes to distinguish different kinds of troops that can unfortunately not be determined. He is a private. But in a category that in German means superior shooter. He may well be the driver of the car behind him. That is all that can be determined. Good luck!

You are correct. What you describe indicates his rank in German as Obergeschuetz. That can most probably be understood as private first class/lance corporal. I translated it - rather clumsily - from German to Englsh as "superior shooter". Your terminology is much more elegant and to the point! Thanks!

Your question was the last one I could get help with by Col. Bojerud as he suddenly passed away a couple of days ago unfortunately.  

Military History

Claes-Gustaf Nordquist, M.D.