Military History/Question about PUC and units that got it!

Question
Hello.  I'm arranging a shadow-box for the memory of my grandfather. I'm curious about the PUC he was issued, because from what I read, the units I know he was in had never got one. (According to Wikipedia which I'd imagine is not the most reliable source).

He served in the Army Air Forces in the Pacific in WWII from 42 to 45 and was a reservist until 1952, finally being discharged from the USAF.

Paperwork says he was under the 20th Air Force, 58th Bomb Wing, 462nd Bombardment Group, and 768th Bombardment Squadron.   I also read a local newspaper article that mentioned he had been with the 9th Air Force in India. A European Theater campaign medal was issued to him as well as the Asiatic, as he moved to the Pacific Theater by boat he spent a little time in Africa. From what wikipedia says, none of these units ever received a Presidential Unit Citation. Is there someone in the archives or military I can write to for info? His records were affected by the fire of 1972 (or was it 73?) so not everything is available.  Just a minor curiosity.  Thank you for taking the time to read this !

Answer
Dear Sir,
       Thank you for your question.  In it you typed 'According to Wikipedia which I'd imagine is not the most reliable source".  CORRECT!  wikipedia has no editor to check for FACTUAL content, books do!
       In your question you typed "the 9th Air Force in India."   WRONG!  The 9th Army Air Force was never based in India.
       In your question you typed "From what wikipedia says, none of these units ever received a Presidential Unit Citation."  WRONG!  The 462nd Bombardment Group (Hvy) was awarded Presidential Unit Citations (PLURAL) for the following combat missions:

August 20, 1944   daylight mission on a iron & steel works, Yawata, Japan

May 23, 25 & 29, 1945   mission on industrial areas, Tokyo & Yokohama, Japan

July 24, 1945   daylight mission on an aircraft plant, Takarazuka, Japan

In your question you typed "Just a minor curiosity."  THANK YOU to the members of the 462nd Bombardment Group (Hvy) for defending our MAJOR republic so many decades ago.

Richard V. Horrell
   WW 2 Connections  

Military History

Richard V. Horrell