Military History/WW II Army Training

For an in-law, I'm researching his father's army service in World War Two. I have a couple of questions arising from his discharge papers. He was inducted in June 1943 and had an MOS of Scout 761. He served in the ETO with the 76th Field Artillery Battalion. Can you tell me roughly how long he would have been in training (basic and any scout/artillery training) before being assigned to his unit? Also, he was in the ETO until December 1945. Would he have been entitled to receive the Occupation Medal, which as I understand it was not authorized until 1946 after his discharge? There is a good battalion history on the internet, but it ends in May 1945 with the unit in Czechoslovakia. It's unclear what it did for the remaining 6-7 months in the ETO.

Before Pearl harbor basic training was 12 weeks after 1941 this was cut to 6 weeks.  Artillery training was 12 weeks during World War 2.  Scout training was about the same length.  He should have received the ETO medal but he would have had to apply for it.  After the war Germany was divide up into different areas of control with US and Soviets taking large chucks.  The British also had a large area and the French with a smaller area.  The Soviets quickly took over Czechoslovakia and the US troops were pulled to their own zone in Western Germany.  There the US troops were used in many jobs.  One big one with keeping the piece.  Also keeping any eye on Germany military POWs.  There was also a active mission to find war criminals.  US troops also worked hard to to rebuild Germany getting the trains, road and canals systems back into business.  Food and medicine was distributed to the Germany people, and a real effort was made to get people back to work.  US troops built bases from the ruins of German military bases and of courses US troops trained.  

As to what he did specifically not 100%

There are 3 links below that may help and a description of His MOS.  Scouts were in many ways early special forces.

Thank you

SCOUT (761)

Obtains information concerning strength, disposition, and probable intentions of enemy forces,
route conditions, locations for bivouac, and terrain features in order to facilitate tactical employment and maneuver of friendly troops, and prevent surprise attack.

Applies scouting and patrolling principles in searching terrain for sign of enemy activity, operating from an observation post, on foot, or mounted.

Records observations and transmits by the best available means of communication.

Based on observations of activity and disposition must be able to estimate strength of enemy detachments and arrive at a logical conclusion as to their probable intentions. Must be able to read maps and aerial photographs, make sketches, and use com pass and field glasses. Must be able to determine, by observation and inspection, what load may be moved over bridges and roads on route of advance of friendly troops. Must be proficient in use of weapons with which armed. Must possess excellent visual memory. Must be able to remain oriented in unfamiliar territory.

At supervisory level, is responsible for control, coordination, and tactical employment of reconnaissance crew.

Military History

Paul Sutton

I can answer questions on World War Two weapons, tactics, and strategy. I can answer questions on Weapons systems and their development. I can answer guestions on Space exploration history. I am a World War 2 expert. I study Military Weapons Systems and the usage of those systems.

I work for Saint Petersburg College as a TRS or Technology resources specialist. I read 10 to 15 books a year on World War 2 and weapon systems. I also have a BA in History from USF.

I have a BA in history from USF.