Military History/347th Engineer General Service Regiment

Question
Discharge paper
Discharge paper  

Discharge paper rear
Discharge paper rear  
Mr. Horrell, my dad was in Company E of the Army 347th Engineer GS Regt during World War II. He received training at Camp Normoyle in San Antonio, Texas... rode Queen Mary from New York to Scotland... worked in England until crossing to France. Then followed the Third Army through France, Luxembourg, and Germany, rebuilding rails and rail bridges, including the Rhine River Bridge at Mainz (Franklin D. Roosevelt Memorial Bridge). I have many pictures but only SOME dates.
Can you please supply movement info for the 347th Eng GS Regt, to include when they moved into Normandy, and so forth ?

Answer
Dear Sir,
       Thank you for your question.  Also, THANK YOU for referring to me as "Mr. Horrell".  Good manners NEVER go out of style.
       In your question you typed "Camp Normoyle in San Antonio, Texas".  I am familiar with the Ordnance Automotive School located at the Normoyle Ordnance Depot, approximately five miles south west of San Antonio.  Is that what you are typing about?
       In your question you typed "rode Queen Mary from New York to Scotland".  Based upon the FACTS typed in Box #36 on page two of your father's Discharge Documents (WD AGO Form 53-55) the voyage in question is as follows:

Departure Date:   June 1, 1943
Departure Location:   New York Port of Embarkation
Troop Ship:   RMS Queen Mary
Arrival Date:   June 6, 1943
Arrival Location:   Gourock, Scotland

However, that is not the voyage that took the 347th Engineer General Service Regiment overseas in August 1942.  That voyage departed the New York Port of Embarkation on August 6, 1942 & arrived at a port in Great Britain August 17, 1942.  Other than Box #6 on page two of your father's Discharge Documents (WD AGO Form 53-55) would you please indicate whatever other Primary Source Documents you possess that indicate your father was assigned [assigned] to the 347th Engineer G.S. Regiment prior to May 8, 1945?
       While we are dealing with the FACTS typed in Box #36 on page two of your father's Discharge Documents (WD AGO Form 53-55) the following may be of interest to you:

Departure Date:   November 6, 1945
Departure Location:   Le Havre, France
Troop Ship:   USS West Point  AP-23
Arrival Date:   November 13, 1945
Arrival Location:   Hampton Roads, Virginia Port of Embarkation

In your question you typed "Then followed the Third Army through France, Luxembourg, and Germany".  May I commend you for typing "Third Army" the correct way to indicate an Army.  I AM IMPRESSED!  The 347th Engineer G.S. Regiment was assigned [assigned] to COMM Z (Communication Zone) the Logistical Support Entity for US First, US Third, US Ninth & US Fifteenth Army in the ETO, 1944-45.  So yes, the 347th did follow Third Army, as well as First Army & Ninth Army.
       The 347th Engineer General Service Regiment was awarded a Meritorious Unit Commendation for the period July 1-October 1, 1944.  General Order #289, HQ, Theater Service Forces, European Theater, awarded October 5, 1945.  The 347th also served in the Army of Occupation, Germany, May 2-July 4, 1945.
       I noticed that in Box #32 on page two of your father's Discharge Documents (WD AGO Form 53-55) your father participated in the Normandy, Northern France, Rhineland & Central Europe Campaigns.  The 347th Engineer G.S. Regiment participated in the following Campaigns:

Normandy          June 6-July 24, 1944
Northern France   July 25-September 14, 1944
Rhineland         September 15, 1944-March 21, 1945
Ardennes-Alsace   December 16, 1944-January 15, 1945
Central Europe    March 22-May 8, 1945

Have you any idea as to why there is a difference between the quantity of Campaigns your father participated in & the quantity the 347th participated in?
       In your question you typed "Can you please supply movement info for the 347th Eng GS Regt"?  I suggest you read pages 272, 356 & 398-403 of:

United States Army in World War II
The Technical Services
 The Corps of Engineers in the War Against Germany
by Beck, Bortz, Lynch, Mayo & Weld
Washington, DC        Center of Military History        1985

In your question you typed "when they moved into Normandy"?  Commanded by Colonel Harry Hulen, the 347th Engineer General Service Regiment landed across UTAH Beach, Cotentin Peninsula, Normandy, France June 27, 1944.
       Good Luck with your quest.

Respectfully,
   Richard V. Horrell
    WW 2 Connections  

Military History

Richard V. Horrell