Military History/CIB award date

QUESTION: Hello Colonel Lynn,

I received a copy of my Dad's retroactive BSM document. It shows a date of April 25, 1945 for his "meritorious" service. If the BSM was based on the CIB award in this case, why would the BSM award show a different date for his "meritorious" service than the May 1st, 1945 award date on his Company CIB list? Is there a significance to the April 25, 1945 date, a week before the CIB?

ANSWER: Dear James,
         It could be that it was a paperwork error with the BSM or that the letter of recommendation was submitted later. Remember, I would look into the possibility of a second award of the BSM for recipients of the CIB which was authorized after the war. What, I'm saying is that since he was awarded a BSM for 25 April 1945, then he falls into the category of those recipients who were awarded the CIB and subsequently awarded a BSM as I stated after the war. That would make your father a two-time recipient of the BSM. May God Bless-Colonel Robert A. Lynn, Florida Guard

QUESTION: Hello Colonel,
I didn't think of a 2nd BSM, that's real nice to know. Was there a letter of recommendation for the CIB, is that what you're referring to, or for the BSM?

Thanks again Colonel Lynn!

Dear James,
         The U.S. Army CIB is awarded by an AGO or Army General Order and the awarding of the BSM to all recipients of the CIB was issued as an Army General Order but this was after the war had ended. May God Bless-Colonel Robert A. Lynn, Florida Guard

Military History

LTC Robert A. Lynn, Florida Guard

I can answer both specific and general military history questions from ancient times to the present. I also provide references and footnotes where I obtained the answers from.