Military History/Legitimus Collins & Co machete

I have Legitimus Collins and co machete, the model is no. 1173, and i would like to know more information about this particular model, and place in history. the blade itself is narrow with a wider rounded tip, a style i was not able to find pictures of.

Some background on the maker:

Here is a blunt tipped machete that may be the same one as yours.

If I am not mistaken, the blunt nosed machetes were export products for use in sugar cane harvesting where a pointed tip was more of a danger than a help.  Not only was the bulbous tip safer it added weight to the striking area of the blade increasing its efficiency.  Recall that sugar cane harvesting was labor intensive and done by slave labor until slavery was abolished. After that it was done by indentured or paid labor.  So the need for these kind of cutting tools was high.

Military History

Keith H. Patton

I can answer questions pertaining to weapons and tactics, personalities, battles, and strategies in european and U.S. history.

I was a history major, and had done extensive research in the subject area. I have designed and tested numerous computer games for various
historical periods.

B.A History M.S. Science
I have had the opportunity to live abroad and walk numerous battlefields both in the United States, Europe, and the Pacific.