Military History/Question about E6 rank

Question
Hey there, thank you so much for the info on my last question about the PUC and the 462nd Bomb Group.

I'm pondering something that I never really figured out. I know there was a lot of things happening in the transition from USAAF to USAF, and I'm trying to figure this out.

My grandfather was a SSGT on his WWII Army DD-214. I do not have his USAF DD-214 from 1952. He joined the Army Enlisted Reserve Corps after the war and ended up being discharged eventually from the USAF in 1952.  

Both of these Honorable Discharge certificates (one from the Army one from the Air Force) list him as Staff Sgt.  One time he told me he may have been a Tech Sgt, and I'm thinking this is because E6 in the USAF would've been a Tech Sgt.. or had that not been the case back then?

Did some guys just remain paygrade E6 and called Staff Sgt back during that transition? Did they maybe drop him to E5 in the Reserves? What do you think may have happened?   I'm going to send for that Air Force DD214 on the Archives website after I send this question off to you, because that always puzzled me!

Answer
Dear sir,
       Thank you for your follow-up.  In it you typed "I know there was a lot of things happening in the transition from the USAAF to USAF, and I'm trying to figure this out."  The National Defense Act of September 1947, established the US Air Force with personnel, aircraft & assets from the US Army Air Force.
       In your follow-up you typed "My grandfather was a SSGT on his WWII Army DD-214."  Would you be so kind as to share with me where on your grandfather's "WWII Army DD-214" the term "DD-214" appears?  The only term I can find printed on my father's Discharge Documents from WW 2 is "WD AGO Form 53-55".  Please do enlighten me, I am always eager to learn.  During WW 2, a "SSGT" (S/Sgt = Staff Sergeant) or E-3 was paid $96.00 per month.
       In your follow-up you typed "One time he told me he.......been the case back then?"  I have no idea.  My knowledge base of US Military History falls off quickly after Sunday, September 2, 1945.
       In your follow-up you typed "Did some guys just remain.......back during that transition?"  I have no idea.
       In your follow-up you typed "Did they maybe drop him to E5 in the Reserves?"  I have no idea.
       In your follow-up you typed "What do you think may have happened?"  I have no idea.
       In your follow-up you typed "I'm going to send for that Air Force DD214".  My idea is, that would be best.

Richard V. Horrell
   WW 2 Connections

Military History

Richard V. Horrell