Military History/SS Howell Lykes

Question
QUESTION: Mr. Horrell,
My Father served in the 24th Corps/10th Army/Quarter Masters in the Okinawa campaign.  He often talked about the transport ships that took him there and to Korea thereafter.  One ship; The Howard Lykes stands out.  Can you advise what it hauled besides troops and its movements? Also I'd like to get a photo of it, if I can.

Thank you

ANSWER: Dear Sir,
       Thank you for your question.  Also, THANK YOU for referring to me as "Mr. Horrell".  Good manners NEVER go out of style.
       In your question you typed "24th Corps/10th Army/Quarter Masters in the Okinawa campaign."  I own an Order of Battle for the XXIV Corps, Tenth Army, during the Ryukyus Campaign, March 26-July 2, 1945.  Are any of the following QM Units familiar:

521st QM Group
187th QM Group
492nd QM Battalion
244th QM Supply Company
247th QM Supply Depot Company
4342nd QM Service Company
3008th QM Graves Registration Company
3063rd QM Graves Registration Company
3754th QM Truck Company

In your question you typed "Howard Lykes".  With all due respect, I am unable to find any FACTS as to a troop ship utilizrd by the US Military during WW 2 with the name "Howard Lykes".  Is it possible that you are referring to the SS Howell Lykes?
       In your question you typed "Can you advise what it hauled besides troops and its movements?"  As to "what it hauled besides troops" very little.  Its troop capacity was 3,135 & cargo capacity 100,768 cubic feet.  So "it hauled" the items organic to the unit(s) that were onboard for that specific voyage.  Tents, SMALL vehicles, cots, the items necessary for the unit(s) to function once the unit(s) arrive at a port.  The SS Howell Lykes was NOT an APA, so the troop ship was NOT designed to land its passengers upon a hostile shore.
       As to the SS Howell Lykes "movements" in the PTO, 1944-45, they are far too numerous to be listed here.  If you care to contact me at     www.WW2Connections@aol.com     it would be my pleasure to attach the list of "movements" to an e-mail.
       In your question you typed "I'd like to get a photo of it".  I suggest you send a letter-of-request to:  

Department of the Navy
Naval Historical Center
 805 Kidder Breese SE
  Washington Navy Yard
   Washington DC     20374-5060

Good Luck with your quest.

Respectfully,
   Richard V. Horrell
    WW 2 Connections

QUESTION: Thank you very much for you response Mr. Horrell. Sadly, my Father who is 96 and in a nursing home, would not be able to remember the outfit that he was assigned. If I had to bet, I'd say it was the 3754 Truck Company. Who knows!  The USS Howell Lykes is the name of the ship. FYI, I tried to pull up , with no luck.

Fred Vasconi
Tampa,Fla

ANSWER: Dear Sir,
       Thank you for your follow-up.  In it you typed "The USS Howell Lykes is the name of the ship."  I am pleased to read we concur.
       In your follow-up you typed "I tried to pull up , with no luck."  The problem may be with your use of the pre-fix "USS".  The SS Howell Lykes was never a commissioned ship of the US Navy, therefore the pre-fix "USS" is incorrect.  The pre-fix "SS" is accurate, since the SS Howell Lykes was operated by the Lykes Brothers Steamship Company, Inc. & not the US Navy.
       I will eagerly await an e-mail from you, so that I may share with you the plethora of FACTS I have about the WW 2 voyages of the SS Howell Lykes.
       Good Luck with your quest.

Respectfully,
   Richard V. Horrell
    WW 2 Connections

QUESTION: Sir,
Thanks again for your response. Yes, I would like to know more about the SS Howell Lykes.  The 10th, according to what Dad told me, formed up in Seattle and they went across the Pacific; Hawaiian Islands, Eniwetok Atoll, Guam and then Okinawa. Once the War ended he was sent to Inchon, Korea and then Souel to hunt for Japanese soldiers who were trying to blend in with the Koreans.  I'm not sure when the Lykes took him to any of these places.  It would be interesting to know. Forgive the spelling on some of the places please.  Waiting for your reply.

Fred Vasconi
Tampa

Answer
Dear sir,
       Thank you for your follow-up.  In it you typed "Yes, I would like to know more about the SS Howell Lykes."  As I typed in my reply of August 29, 2015, the FACTS "are far to numerous to be listed here."  Please feel free to contact me at   www.WW2Connections@aol.com      & it would be my pleasure to share with you all the FACTS I possess about the SS Howell Lykes.
       Good Luck with your quest.

Respectfully,
   Richard V. Horrell
    WW 2 Connections

Military History

Richard V. Horrell