Military History/Troop Transport

Question
QUESTION: My grandfather Leon R Crippen
    Date of induction 15 Jan 43 Indianapolis, IN (I'm pretty sure it was at Camp Atterbury)
    Date of entry into active service 22 Jan 43
I have small picture that  has writing on the back  I can make out his name and the date and US Army
there is more that I cannot read the date is APRIL 15-43
    Date of departure 1 June 43 destination ETO arrival 7 June 43
    Date of departure 18 Jan 46 destination USA arrival 29 Jan 46
I'm trying to find out where he left the U.S. & entered U.K. in  1943 &  where he left the UK and entered the US in 1946
    Date of separation 3 Feb 46 at Camp Atterbury, IN

ANSWER: Dear Ms.,
       Thank you for your question.  In it you typed "departure 1 June 43 destination ETO arrival 7 June 43".

Departure Date:   June 1, 1943
Departure Location:   New York Port of Embarkation
Troop Ship:   RMS Queen Mary
Arrival Date:   June 6, 1943
Arrivsl Location:   Gourock, Scotland

Please note, June 6, 1943 was the date the RMS Queen Mary dropped anchor in the Firth of Clyde, June 7, 1943 was the date your grandfather set foot upon dry land at Gourock, Scotland.
       In your question you typed "departure 18 Jan 46 destination USA arrival 29 Jan 46".

Departure Date:   January 18, 1946
Departure Location:   Le Havre, France
Troop Ship:  USAT (US Army Transport) Thomas H. Barry
Arrival Date:   January 28, 1946
Arrival Location:   New York Port of Embarkation

Please note, January 28, 1946 was the date the USAT Thomas H. Barry docked at the New York Port of Embarkation, January 29, 1946 was the date your grandfather set foot upon US soil.  The USAT Thomas H. Barry must have arrived at the New York P. of E. late in the evening of January 28, 1946.
       Good Luck with your quest.

Respectfully,
   Richard V. Horrell
    WW 2 Connections

QUESTION: I have a paper that says--
Southampton Port of Embarkation
Headquarters Southampton Staging Area
United Kingdom Base
APO 437, US Army
Leon R Crippen T/4 35581213 1302nd Engrs
12 Jan 46

Would this be how he got to Le Havre, France to catch the transport ship to the U.S. ?

Answer
Dear Ms.,
       Thank you for your follow-up.  In it you typed "APO 437".  APO 437 was located at located at Southampton, England in January 1946.
       In your follow-up you typed "1302nd Engrs".  The 1302nd Engineer General Service Regiment arrived at the New York Port of Embarkation January 29, 1946.  
       In your follow-up you typed "Would this be how he got to Le Havre, France to catch the transport ship to the U.S?"  Yes.  However, the Primary Source Document also provided the necessary FACTS to indicate the correct troop ship your grandfather was a passenger upon in January 1946:

Departure Date:   January 20, 1946
Departure Location:   Le Havre, France
Troop Ship:   SS Westminster Victory
Unit(s) Onboard:   1302nd Engineer General Service Regiment
Arrival Date:   January 29, 1946

My regret is that I was not provided with the FACTS from ALL the Primary Source Documents you possessed when you posted your initial question.  This error leaves AllExperts (and me) looking less than AllExperts.  My apology for my initial error.
       Good Luck with your quest.

Richard V. Horrell
   WW 2 Connections

Military History

Richard V. Horrell