Military History/U.S. Army WWII service ribbons

Service Ribbons
Service Ribbons  
First, thank you for your service to our country.  
I am seeking help to confirm and ID the service ribbons on my father's U.S. Army uniform jacket when he was discharged at the end of WWII.  He served in the 33rd Infantry Division in the Pacific.  Attached is a picture of the ribbons.  There is one ribbon that I am unable to ID, but if you could also confirm that I have the information correct on all other items I would appreciate it.
The only ribbon on the top row is for the Silver Star.
The three ribbons on the middle row are (from left to right) the Bronze Star, the World War II Victory Medal and the American Defense Service Medal.
The three ribbons on the bottom row are (from left to right) UNKNOWN, the Asiatic Pacific Campaign Medal with two bronze stars for the New Guinea and Luzon campaigns, and the Philippine Liberation Medal with a bronze star for participation in combat.
My main question is the identification of the UNKNOWN ribbon.  I know that my father was also in Japan for some period of time after VJ Day, but I cannot ID this ribbon.
Also, I if I am correct regarding the identification of the World War II Victory Medal, what would the bronze star on this ribbon represent?
Thank you for your help with this,

Dear David,
         I want to apologize for not getting back to you sooner but here are the answers to your questions:

*The star (as well as any other attachments/devices) in the middle of the World War II Victory Medal/Ribbon originally was never authorized; although some veterans received the medal/ribbon with an affixed bronze star which, according to rumors at the time, was to distinguish those who had served in combat from those who didn't. However, no official documentation has ever been found to support this supposition. Although eligible for its award, many World War II veterans never actually received the medal/ribbon since many were discharged prior to the medal's/ribbon's institution.

*The ribbon in question appears to be the American Campaign Medal/Ribbon which has the original plastic covering but has aged through discoloration.

*Your father also rates the Army of Occupation Medal with Japan Clasp/Ribbon for duty during the occupation of Japan after its surrender.

I hope this answers your questions and May God Bless-Colonel Robert A. Lynn, Florida Guard  

Military History

LTC Robert A. Lynn, Florida Guard

I can answer both specific and general military history questions from ancient times to the present. I also provide references and footnotes where I obtained the answers from.