Military History/Wifes grandfather WW 2

Question
Mr. Horrell thank u for taking the time to read this.  My wifes grandfather served as a medic in WWII.  His name is August J. Fitch.  His ID number is 20347633.  His son and daughter do not have his discharge papers just some old pics and his medals and ribbons.  I have a few questions. The first is there a way to get a copy of his discharge papers to make sure they have all of his medals and ribbons.  With a little research we found that he was a POW but there's no POW ribbon.  We also found out he was with the 104th medical regiment.  He told stories that he was on the beach in Normandy on D-Day.  Is there a way to find out what beach.  Once again thank you for taking the time to read this and for your help.  Any information is helpful.

Answer
Dear Sir,
       Thank you for your question.  Also, THANK YOU for referring to me as "Mr. Horrell".  Good manners NEVER go out of style.
       In your question you typed "His ID number is 20347633."  During WW 2, when a Serial Number began with an arabic numeral "2" it gererally meant the person with that Serial Number was a member of the National Guard.
       In your question you typed "is there a way to get a copy of his discharge papers"?  Yes.  When your grandfather-in-law was discharged from the US Army, he was provided with 6-10 copies of his Discharge Documents (WD AGO Form 53-55).  One copy may have been registered at the Court House of the County your grandfather-in-law resided in after WW 2.  Discharge Documents are in the Public Domain, so you (or anyone else) may visit the Court House of the County that your grandfather-in-law resided in after WW 2 to obtain a photocopy of his Discharge Documents (WD AGO Form 53-55).  
       If I read the context of your question correctly, your grandfather-in-law has passed away.  If so, when he passed away his family provided the Funeral Home handling the arrangements a copy of his Discharge Documents (WD AGO Form 53-55).  This was done to have the Veterans Administration help offset the cost of your grandfather-in-law's Funeral & interment.  I suggest you contact the Funeral Home that handled your grandfather-in-law's arrangements.
       Discharge Documents (WD AGO Form 53-55) would have also been provided to employers for Veteran's Preference in hiring, membership to the American Legion &/or V.F.W., as well as for care at a Veterans Administration Facility prior to your grandfather-in-law's demise.
       In your question you typed "With a little research we found out that he was a POW but there's no POW ribbon."  That is because the POW Medal was not instituted until 1985.  IF you have Primary Source Documents indicating your grandfather-in-law was a POW, you may still obtain a POW Medal on his behalf, albeit posthumously.
       In your question you typed "We also found out that he was with the 104th medical regiment."  I am familiar with the 104th Medical Regiment, Maryland & Virginia National Guard, an organic element of the 29th Infantry Division, Maryland, Virginia & District of Columbia Nation Guard prior to March 11, 1942.  On that date the 104th Medical Regiment was redesignated the 104th Medical Battalion, remaining an organic element of the 29th Infantry Division, Maryland, Virginia & District of Columbia National Guard.  Since you typed that your grandfather-in-law "was with the 104th medical regiment", & the 104th Medical Regiment ceased to exist on March 11, 1942, what Primary Source Documents do you possess indicating the unit your grandfather-in-law was assigned [assigned] to after March 11, 1942?
       In your question you typed that "He told stories that he was on the beach in Normandy on D-Day.  Is there a way to find out what beach."  Since I do not know the unit your grandfather-in-law was assigned [assigned] to on Tuesday, June 6, 1944, I will assume (something I am loathed to do) that he was assigned [assigned] to the 104th Medical Battalion.  IF so, elements of the 104th Medical Battalion were to make an amphibious assault onto Easy Green, Dog Red, Dog White & Dog Green, all beaches upon OMAHA Beach.  However, as we know from History, virtually nothing went as planned upon OMAHA Beach.  Elements of the 104th Medical Battalin landed further to the East, on Fox Green & Easy Red, OMAHA Beach.  There is only one person that knew where your grandfather-in-law landed on Tuesday, June 6, 1944, your grandfather-in-law.  I can assure you, WHERE your grandfather-in-law landed upon OMAHA Beach was NOT paramount on his mind that morning, only that he moved south OFF the beach that day.
       In your question you typed "Any information is helpful."  The following are additional FACTS:

Departure Date:   September 27, 1942
Departure Location:   New York Port of Embarkation
Troop Ship:   RMS Queen Mary
Unit(s) Onboard:   elements of the 29th Infantry Division, Maryland, Virginia & District of Columbia National Guard
Arrival Date:   October 2, 1942
Arrival Location:   Gourock, Scotland

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Departure Date:   October 5, 1942
Troop Ship:   RMS Queen Elizabeth
Arrival Date:   October 11, 1942
Arrival Location:   Gourock, Scotland

Just an observation, the first half hour of the cinema film "Saving Private Ryan" must have great significance to the Fitch Family.
       Good Luck with your quest.

Respectfully,
   Richard V. Horrell
    WW 2 Connections  

Military History

Richard V. Horrell