Military History/World War I

Question
Hello,
My great grandfather served in WWI.
He was with the 31st Infantry, a private in Comp. K
He enlisted Dec. 7, 1917, and was honorably discharged July 23, 1920.
I have found information about the 'Polar Bears' but am not sure if he was one of them.
He unfortunately died at age 48 by drinking wood alcohol. He lived on trains and was considered a hobo after the war.  Before the war he held jobs and was a hard worker.
I would like to know what his Division did during that time, perhaps that is why he had the drinking problem.
 He was buried at the Los Angeles National Cemetery in 1931.
Thank you for your time and any help you can give me.
Jane

Answer
You should be able to get a copy of your grandfather's military records from the National Archives' Military Personnel Records Center in St. Louis.

Here's the link, which contains info on how to get records of a deceased veteran if you are next of kin: www.archives.gov/st-louis/military-personnel

Military History

Marc Leepson