Military History/cannon balls

I have a cannon ball from Puerto Rico. It was found in the country/jungle near the town of Rincon in 1982. Could it be from the Spanish American War or maybe from Christopher Columbus? It is the size of a tennis ball approximately. I tried to upload a photo from my Kindle but for some reason I wasn't able to at the moment. I will try to send one later as my computer is busy at this moment.

You either have a 2 Pounder or 6 pounder cannon ball.  This would not have been from the Spanish American war, but much earlier.  The 2 and 6 pound was a ship weapon that could be off loaded and used as land artillery.  The 2 and 6 Pounder were in service from the 1 1600s to the 1800s.  As to which battle not sure of that.  I have included a link about battles on Puerto Rico but so many skirmishes took place between pirates, British, French, Dutch and English forces it is almost impossible to 100% identify.

I hope this helps

Thank you
2 Pounder   2.5 Inch         3.5 pounds
6 Pounder   3.0 Inch         6 pounds  

Military History

Paul Sutton

I can answer questions on World War Two weapons, tactics, and strategy. I can answer questions on Weapons systems and their development. I can answer guestions on Space exploration history. I am a World War 2 expert. I study Military Weapons Systems and the usage of those systems.

I work for Saint Petersburg College as a TRS or Technology resources specialist. I read 10 to 15 books a year on World War 2 and weapon systems. I also have a BA in History from USF.

I have a BA in history from USF.