Military History/Father-in-law WW 2 Discharge Papers

Question
QUESTION: Arm or Service: AGD; Component: AUS. What do these abbrev. mean? He originally enlisted in the AAF.
Organization: Hqs. Company 29th Replacement. Does that tell us anything about where he was stationed? We know he was in the Luzon campaign from his ribbons and battle stars. His ribbons and battle stars include that of the southern European campaign, yet his discharge papers only list the Asiatic Pacific Theater. Nothing about Europe. Military Occ. Specialty states: Supply Non-Comm. Officer. Does this tell us more than the obvious: supply officer.

ANSWER: Dear Sir,
       Thank you for your question.  In it you typed "Arm or Service: AGD; Component: AUS. What do these abbrev. mean?"  AGD = Adjutant General Department  -/-/-   AUS = Army of the United States.
       In your question you typed "He originally enlisted in the AAF."  May I respectfully request your source that the Veteran enlisted (Box #22, Box #23 & Box #24) & that it was for the Army Air Force?
       In your question you typed "Organization: Hqs. Company 29th Replacement. Does that tell us anything about where he was stationed?"  No.  It tells us the unit the Veteran was assigned [assigned] to when he was discharged from the US Army on __?__?__ (Box #7).
       In your question you typed "We know he was in the Luzon campaign from his ribbons and battle stars."  Would you be so kind as to explain how the "ribbons and battle stars" indicate that the Veteran participated in the Luzon Campaign (December 15, 1944-July 4, 1945)?
       In your question you typed "His ribbons and battle stars include that of the southern European campaign".  With all due respect, there is no "southern European campaign" listed as Campaigns that US Military Personnel participated in during WW 2.  The only Campaigns that I know of that have compass directions as a part of the term are Northern Solomons, Western Pacific, Southern Philippines, North Apennines, Southern France & Northern France.
       In your question you typed "Military Occ. Specialty states: Supply Non-Comm. Officer.  Does this tell us more than the obvious: supply officer."  Yes, that the Veteran was a NCO (Non-Commissioned Officer) not an "officer".
       May I suggest that you photocopy all four pages of the Veteran's Discharge Documents (WD AGO Form 53-55) then send the photocopies to me via First Class USPS.  Please be sure to include your e-mail address for ease of response.  It will be my pleasure to share with you any FACTS I glean from the Discharge Documents (WD AGO Form 53-55)
       Good Luck with your quest.

Respectfully,
   Richard V. Horrell
    WW 2 Connections
     2011 Richard Jones Road
      Apt      E 26
       Nashville   TN   37215-2837

QUESTION: Thank you. I will do as requested. My-father-in-law died some 20 years ago, and never talked about the war. To address your questions: His enlistment papers indicate the AAF. We did obtain one document - the only one found in the Nat'l Archives - describing a training accident in Arkansas in which he wrecked his plane (problem with depth perception). We also have photographs of him in uniform with AAF patches. His ribbons and (unfortunately dozens of) patches were found in a stored box. His APT ribbon contains one star, which matches what is on his discharge papers. Item 30, under campaigns, lists only Luzon. The box also contained a ribbon (European-African Middle Eastern Campaign with 4 stars) which we looked up on an internet site. We decided it wasn't his, since his deployment overseas lists only the Pacific from June to Sept. 1945. Why he had that ribbon we have no idea. Patches we suppose were obtained in trades. But where did the ribbon come from - likely we'll never know.

Answer
Dear Sir,
       Thank you for your follow-up.  In the context of what you have typed, my suggestion is to rely upon FACTS obtained from Primary Source Documents & to place little faith in the items found in "The box".  
       I will eagerly await a photocopy of the Veteran's Discharge Documents (WD AGO Form 53-55) sent to me via First Class USPS.
       Good Luck with your quest.

Respectfully,
   Richard V. Horrell
    WW 2 Connections

Military History

Richard V. Horrell