Military History/grandfathers involvement in WW 2 confusion

Question
Wm Olen Deckard
Wm Olen Deckard  
Hello, As I have grown older I have become quite interested in my family history...and of course I wish more than anything I would have gathered more information from relatives who are gone now. But when you are younger you don't really think of those things. I am trying to get as much information as possible about my grandfathers experiences in WWII. He was only enlisted for a short time, as he was injured. Family rumors say he was in Normandy, and one of only a few survivors from his company or platoon. I do not know which company he belonged to, the only records I was able to get befor my grandmother died was his discharge papers. I tried to research this myself but Have gotten nowhere. I really appreciate any help you may provide, such as where he travelled and the timeline, which company or regiment he was part of, and was he indeed injured in action. He supposedly was shot in the ankle and ended up in Cambridge Hospital and was honorably discharged, but I don't see any awards for being injured in action. Which ships would he have been on and are there any books and sto Ives that would tell the specific battles my grandfather fought in??? Thank you so much!!! The enormous amount of information is so overwhelming, especially for a non history person like me. You are wonderful to offer to do this!!!  Respectfully, Michelle

Answer
Dear Ms.,
       Thank you for your question.  In it you typed "He was only enlisted for a short time".  If you would be so kind as to read Box #22, #23 & #24 on page two of your grandfather's Discharge Documents (WD AGO Form 53-55) you will note that your grandfather was not "enlisted" but drafted into the US Army, sometime in the summer of 1944.  Sorry, the scan of your grandfather's Discharge Document (WD AGO Form 53-55) is VERY difficult to read.
       In your question you typed "he was injured."  OK, I will accept that statement.
       In your question you typed "Family rumors say he was in Normandy".  The "Normandy" Campaign was fought June 6-July 24, 1944.  Your grandfather did not depart an East Coast Port of Embarkation until November 30, 1944.  
       In your question you typed "the only records I was able to get befor [sic] my grandmother died was his discharge papers."  What you have provided is page two of your grandfather's Discharge Documents (WD AGO Form 53-55).  Where are page 1, page 3 & page 4?
       In your question you typed "which company or regiment he was part of".  Box #6 on page two of your grandfather's Discharge Documents (WD AGO Form 53-55) indicated the unit your grandfather was assigned [assigned] to when he was discharged from the US Army.  Unfortunately, I cannot read what is typed in Box #6, so I am unable to share with you any FACTS I glean from the content of Box #6.
       In your question you typed "ended up in Cambridge Hospital".  Respectfully, your grandfather "ended up in" Fletcher General Hospital, located one & a half miles north of Cambridge, Ohio.
       In your question you typed "I don't see any awards for being injured in action."  That is because soldiers are not awarded for being injured in action, only Wounded in Action (WIA).
       In your question you typed "Which ships would he have been on".

Departure Date:   November 30, 1944
Departure Location:   New York Port of Embarkation
Troop Ship:   RMS Ile de France
Arrival Date:   December 8, 1944
Arrival Location:   Gourock, Scotland
    9,733 Troops onboard

The majority of the soldiers on that voyage were assigned [assigned] to organic elements of the 66th Infantry Division.  That may serve as a hint of where to research next for FACTS about your grandfather's role in WW 2.
       In your question you typed "specific battles my grandfather fought in???"  Please note Box #32 on page two of your grandfather's Discharge Documents (WD AGO Form 53-55).  From what little I can read from page two, your grandfather was "injured" in some sort of way while in Great Britain, prior to his unit's arrival onto the continent of Europe.
       You are welcome to photocopy page two of your grandfather's Discharge Document, then send the photocopy to me via First Class USPS.  Please be sure to include your e-mail address for ease of response.  It would be my pleasure to share with you any FACTS I glean from the document.
       Good Luck with your quest.

Respectfully,
   Richard V. Horrell
    WW 2 Connections
     2011 Richard Jones Road
      Apt      E  26
       Nashville   TN   37215-2837

Military History

Richard V. Horrell