Military History/military history

Did all inductees have their names changed at time of entering?

I suppose you mean the conscript recruits of the Royal Swedish Army?!
No only if you had several with the same last name. In those days apart from aristocracy families and some bourgeoisie families no one had a family name. So they had their given names like Erik or Karl and then just the patronymic like Eriksson or Karlsson showing that they were the son of Erik or Karl. Needless to say there could be many with the same patronymic in the same company. And usually a soldier was addressed only with his patronymic or family name- So it was encouraged to give soldiers more martial last names like Svård (=Sword) or Sköld (=Shield). Or Tapper (=Courageous) or Modig (=Brave), But only if there was a risk of confusion.  The British Royal Navy  had the same problem with numerous Smiths and Browns etc. They solved this problem by adding numbers to the names.

You can also reach me at:
There is no limit to the number of questions there. Please note: NEW SITE!

Donations are also always welcome! No amount is too small, no amount is too big!
The language problem I have had with the payment site has been solved!

Military History

Claes-Gustaf Nordquist, M.D.

I`m a retired Swedish military physician-surgeon with a big interest in military history - mainly European and especially of the Nordic-Scandinavian area. This also includes the history of military medicine.

A very long and intense personal interest.

Doctor of Medicine. You can also find me here on under these categories: I also answer questions in other categories: Oncology (General Cancer), General History, Brain Tumors, Breast Cancer, Colon Cancer