Military History/11th Replacement Depot in June 1944

Question
QUESTION: Hello Mr. Horrell,
#1.)  My father's name is on a list for the 11th Replacement Depot on June 3, 1944.  Is there any way to know the general activities for that group?

#2.)  I have lists marked "restricted."  How does that compare to a 16th Replacement Depot EMBARCATION PERSONNEL ROSTER list with no date marked "SECRET"?

You have helped me before, so thank you for taking more time for my questions.

ANSWER: Dear Ms.,
       Thank you for your question.  In it you typed "My father's name is on a.......activities for that group?"  Yes.  The 11th Replacement Depot was processing the men assigned [assigned] to the 11th Replacement Depot with a M.O.S. (Military Occupational Specialty) that matched the M.O.S. of a vacancy in a unit about to enter combat.  Units entering combat wanted to be at full strength, & the 11th Replacement Depot was the location to obtain needed replacements.
       In your question you typed "I have lists marked "restricted.""  OK, I acknowledge what you have typed.  "restricted" for what purpose?
       In your question you typed "How does that compare to.......no date marked "SECRET"?"  It does not compare.  The "lists" you have are "restricted" as to who may have access to the content.  The "SECRET" list is just that, "SECRET" to be kept from the eyes of the enemy AT ALL COSTS!
       In your question you typed "You have helped me before".  Hopefully better than I did so this time.
       Good Luck with your quest.

Respectfully,
   Richard V. Horrell
    WW 2 Connections

QUESTION: My father spoke of D-Day + 1 without documentation (5 months before he died in 2007.) I have since found his name on the following documents.

April 29, 1944:  Replacement Depot #1 at Fort Meade, Maryland
June 2:          arrived in ETO per discharge papers
June 3:          11th Replacement Depot APO 131

No date:         SECRET U.S. Army EMBARCATION PERSONNEL ROSTER
         Repl Detachment (ORGANIZATION NAME)
         X23C (Difficult to read...UNIT SERIAL NUMBER?)
         16 Repl Depot (LOCATION HOME STATION)

week of June 12
thru July 9:     received rations through APO 15325
July 13          assigned as per morning report to 35th Div from
         41st placement Battalion APO 873

1.)  Is there such a thing as Unit Serial Number? The letters are difficult to read esp for "serial".

2.)  Could the SECRET embarcation be for D-Day + 1?

I know already that you don't like the word "could"?  What else can I say...and I smile a bit.

ANSWER: Dear Ms.,
       Thank you for your follow-up.  In the earlier question you typed "You have helped me before".  I am pleased to read that I have done so, & that you request my assistance again.  Please understand, I assist thousands of people annually (not just through AllExperts) so my ability to recollect a specific assistance is difficult.  I vaguely recall your questions as per your father for early June 1944.  If you could provide me the month & year I assisted you, it would make it easier for me to find my notes from the previous time I assisted you.
       In your follow-up you typed "I have since found his name on the following documents."  GREAT!!!  It is always a good thing to find a loved one's name on a Primary Source Document.
       In your follow-up you typed "June 2:    arrived in ETO per discharge papers"

Departure Date:   May 21, 1944
Departure Location:   New York Port of Embarkation
Troop Ship:   RMS Highland Brigade
Arrival Date:   June 1, 1944
Arrival Location:   Liverpool, England
    1,905 Troops onboard

June 1, 1944 was the date the ship arrived at Liverpool, "June 2" was the date your father set foot upon English soil.

In your follow-up you typed "June 3    11th Replacement Depot APO 131"  On June 3, 1944 the 11th Replacement Depot was located at Whitechurch, England.

In your follow-up you typed "16 Repl Depot"  Sorry, I have no FACTS as per the 16th Replacement Depot to share with you.

In your follow-up you typed "week of June 12 thru July 9"  APO 15325 was assigned to the 1st Base Post Office in England, May 13, 1944.

In your follow-up you typed "July 13"  The 41st Replacement Battalion, APO 873 was located at Camp Houndstone, Yeovil, England, January 1-July 15, 1944.  The organic elements of the 41st Replacement Battalion were the 309th, 310th, 311th & 312th Replacement Companies, & the Battalion was attached [attached] to V Corps, First Army.

In your follow-up you typed "Is there such a thing as a Unit Serial Number?"  I do not know.
       In your follow-up you typed "Could the SECRET embarcation be for D-Day + 1?"  Sure.

In your follow-up you typed "I already know that for don't like the word "could"?"  How "could" that be?  LOL

I am still unclear as to what it is you wish to learn about your father role in WW 2, April 29-July 13, 1944.  Regardless, I do hope what I have typed today is of some use to you.
       Good Luck with your quest.

Respectfully,
   Richard V. Horrell
    WW 2 Connections

QUESTION: Thank you again!  We have had a longer relationship than you may expect.  My previous questions are from Feb 2011 / Mar and April 2012 / Sept 2013 / Feb 2014.

When my father first mentioned D-Day + 1 in 2007,  we didn't know he had been a replacement.  All I had was a 61 year old envelope with 10 addresses on it.  Since then I have acquired documents which show his replacement status and just this past week, I focused on a SECRET EMBARCATION document with no date.  During all of "our" relationship, I was trying to prove my father was involved in D-Day+1  because I was initially told by a museum that it was impossible since he arrived so late on June 2.

It seems to me that a SECRET EMBARCATION for my father could only be for a train to get to a ship for the assault or for the assault itself. He arrived in the ETO June 2 and was assigned to the 35th Division in July. I called June '44 "The Mystery Month."   

I am trying to write a "book" for my kids and nieces/nephews.  I actually started this project when my father broke a hip in 2001, and frankly I hope to break off your and my relationship soon...but not yet!

1.) Do you consider other possibilities for the SECRET EMBARCATION with no date?

2.) In general terms for the 35th Division, are my numbers relatively accurate and how many personnel are in a company headquarters?

DIVISION:  14,000 troops with headquarters of 160
REGIMENT:  3000 troops with headquarters of 100
BATTALION: 900 with headquarter of 130
COMPANY:   190 troops with headquarters of ______?
PLATOON?   40 troops

I do appreciate your helping me.  Also....I think our fathers came home on the same ship, but I don't have that note with my other papers at the moment.  Just fyi.  Thank you.

Answer
Dear Ms.,
       Thank you for your follow-up.  I now recall who you are.  My apology, you are one of the few whom I have found to follow through, a quality I admire.  I am pleased to read that you are still at your quest, with new FACTS every day!
       In your follow-up you typed "I was initially told by a museum that it was impossible since he arrived so late on June 2."  My response to you is that I agree with the "museum".  However, I am a seasoned enough researcher to also factor in the atypical, which in this case is your father & his role in the D-Day Landings.  You have Primary Source Documents with your father's name upon the documents, good enough for me!  Hope you return to the "museum" to rub their nose in it (I'm so petty).
       In your follow-up you typed "Do you consider other possibilities for the SECRET EMBARCATION with no date?"  In the context that SECRET is in the context to the enemy, I suggest you take the document at face value.
       In your follow-up you typed "In general terms for the.......a company headquarters?"  My response is for the 35th Infantry Division, Infantry Units ONLY, early July-mid October 1944:

Division      158 Officers & Enlisted Men assigned to HQ & HQ Company
Regiment      108 Officers & Enlisted Men assigned to HQ & HQ Company
Battalion     126 Officers & Enlisted Men assigned to Battalion HQ & HQ Section
Company       33 Officers & Enlisted Men (approx) assigned to HQ Section
Platoon       4 Officers & Enlisted Men assigned to HQ Section

Please note the various types of HQ.

In your follow-up you typed "I think our fathers came home on the same ship".  Yes, the RMS Queen Mary, from Southampton to the New York P of E, September 23-28, 1945.
       When your "book" is completed, would you be so kind as to have a copy printed for me?  I would be happy to pay $$$$$$$ up front, including shipping.
       Continued success with your quest.

Sincerely,
   Richard V. Horrell
    WW 2 Connections
     2011 Richard Jones Road
      Apt      E 26
       Nashville   TN   37215-2837  

Military History

Richard V. Horrell