Military History/634th AAA Auto-Weapons Battalion / Battle of the Bulge

Question
Hello,

I believe my father, James Stonecipher, was in the 634th AAA AW. He was captured during the Battle of the Bulge. He had stated that he was captured near Prum, Germany when his company commander surrendered, as they were encircled, low on ammunition, food and water. My brothers and I have trouble remembering the details. We believe he was captured on 12/16 or soon after. Do you have any information or can you point me to information with details on this part of the Battalion?

Thanks,

Scott Stonecipher

Answer
Dear Sir,
       Thank you for your question.  In it you typed "I believe my father, James Stonecipher, was in the 634th AAA AW."  Would you be so kind as to provide me with the source(s) that lead you to "believe" your father was assigned [assigned] to the 634th AAA Automatic Weapons Battalion prior to May 8, 1945?
       In your question you typed "He was captured during the Battle of the Bulge."  You may wish to learn if your father participated in a R.A.M.P. (Returned Allied Military Personnel) Interview after he was liberated.  Most R.A.M.P.s did not, but IF your father did so, the records of the interview are at the National Archives in Washington, D.C.
       In your question you typed "He had stated that he was captured near Prum, Germany".  With all due respect to your father & his service to defending our great republic, Prum, Germany was behind the German lines in December 1944.  Your father, IF assigned [assigned] to the 634th AAA Automatic Weapons Battalion, was neared to St. Vith, Belgium when he became a POW.
       In your question you typed "We believe he was captured on 12/16 or soon after."  The Battle of the Bulge began on Saturday, December 16th, 1944, so you are correct about "12/16 or soon after".
       In your question you typed "Do you have any information or can you point me to information with details on this part of the Battalion?"  "Information" no, FACTS yes.  I could find no record of a unit history of the 634th AAA Automatic Weapons Battalion ever being published.  The 634th AAA Automatic Weapons Battalion was attached {attached} to the 106th Infantry Division, December 8-18, 1944.  Thus, if you read about the 106th Infantry Division, December 8-18, 1944, you are reading about the 634th AAA Automatic Weapons Battalion.  You may wish to obtain a copy of:

St. Vith: Lion In The Way
The 106th Infantry Division In World War II
by Colonel R. Ernest DuPuy
Nashville, TN          The Battery Press          1986

ISBN: 0-89839-092-3

The 634th AAA Automatic Weapons Battalion was awarded a Presidential Unit Citation, the streamed embroidered ST.VITH, for the period December 16-21, 1944, War Department General Order Number 108.  I have a copy of WDGO 108, send to me your mailing address via First Class USPS & I will send to you via First Class USPS a copy of WDGO 108.
       Good Luck with your quest.

Respectfully,
   Richard V. Horrell
    WW 2 Connections
     2011 Richard Jones Road
      Apt.      E 26
       Nashville   TN   37215-2837  

Military History

Richard V. Horrell