Military History/Father's Service

Question
QUESTION: Hi Richard.  I am trying to find info on where my dad served in ww2. He was in the 1980th quartermaster truck company, his discharge papers say he was in Egypt, Libya, Tunisia, Rome, Arno, Naples, fogging, but we also thought he was in India. Thanks Gary

ANSWER: Dear Mr. Wildman,
       Thank you for your question.  In it you typed "I am trying to find info on where my dad served in ww2."  I can try to assist with providing you FACTS.
       In your question you typed "He was in the 1980th quartermaster truck company".  Would you be so kind as to provide me with your source that your father was assigned [assigned] to the 1980th QM Truck Company (Aviation) prior to May 8, 1945?
       The 1980th QM Truck Company (Aviation) participated in the following Campaigns:

Sicily          July 9-August 17, 1943
Naples-Foggia     September 9, 1943-January 21, 1944
Rome-Arno         January 22-September 9, 1944
China Offensive   May 5-September 2, 1945

In your question you typed "discharge papers say he was in Egypt, Libya, Tunisia, Rome, Arno, Naples, fogging".  According to what you have typed, YOUR FATHER participated in the following Campaigns:

Egypt-Libya        June 11, 1942-February 12, 1943
Tunisia          November 17, 1942-May 13, 1943
Naples-fogging?    September 9, 1943-January 21, 1944
Rome-Arno          January 22-September 9, 1944

As you can read, the FACTS from Box #32 on page two of your father's Discharge Documents (WD AGO Form 53-55) & the Campaign Credits of the 1980th QM Truck Company (Aviation) do not match up.  Therefore, your father spent a small portion of his time in the US Army assigned [assigned] to the 1980th QM Truck Company (Aviation) OR the 1980th QM Truck Company (Aviation) was the unit your father was assigned [assigned] to after May 8, 1945, to return to the USA.  Once you provide me with your source that your father was assigned [assigned] to the 1980th QM Truck Company (Aviation) prior to May 8, 1945, I will have a better idea of how to go forth with additional research for FACTS.
       In your question you typed "we also thought he was in India."  Would you be so kind as to inform me what Primary Source Documents you possess that indicates to you that your father served "in India"?
       Would you be so kind as to provide me with ALL THE DATES typed in Box #36 on page two of your father's Discharge Documents (WD AGO Form 53-55)?  Also, are there any other units listed on page three & page four of your father's Discharge Documents?
       Good Luck with your quest.

Respectfully,
   Richard V. Horrell
    WW 2 Connections

QUESTION: Hi Richard, thanks for getting back with me. Box 36 says date of departure was 21 sept. 42, destination eame theater, arrived 31 October. 42. Returned 17 Jan. 45 to us, arrived 30 Jan. 45. In box 32 he was awarded European African middle eastern service medal, and the asiatic pacific service medal. In box 55 it says something about the 315th service group. He had talked about being in India, and Palestine.

Answer
Dear Mr. Wildman,
       Thank you for your follow-up.  In it you typed "date of departure was 21 sept. 42, destination eame theater, arrived 31 October. 42."

Departure Date:   September 21, 1942
Departure Location:   New York Port of Embarkation
Troop Ship:   RMS Aquitania
Arrival Date:   October 31, 1942
Arrival Location:   Suez City, Egypt
    via Capetown, South Africa

A rather famous troop ship voyage, providing thousands of US Army technical personnel to the British 8th Army for their struggle against Rommel's Afrika Korps!  It was with the British 8th Army that your father served in the Egypt-Libya Campaign.
       In your follow-up you typed "Returned 17 Jan. 45 to us, arrived 30 Jan. 45."  So your father returned to the USA while combat was still ongoing in the E.T.O.  Interesting.  Unfortunately, I have no FACTS as per a voyage returning to the USA with those dates.  Obviously a voyage took place, I just do not possess FACTS about said voyage.
       In your follow-up you typed "In box 55 it says something about the 315th service group."  In the context of WW 2, "service group" is a Proper Noun, Service Group is a type of unit.  The problem is (or FACTS lacking) which type of Service Group?  Ordnance?  QM Corps?  Signal Corps?  Transportation Corps?  
       Good Luck with your quest.

Respectfully,
   Richard V. Horrell
    WW 2 Connections

Military History

Richard V. Horrell